For one reason or another, it’s been almost two-months since I lasted updated you on the American lime wall shelf I was building to re-house my over-blown DVD collection, following a house move at the end of March. I finished the project (with several coats of Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer) shortly after part two but, it was only last week that I got around to the task of hanging the unit on a plasterboard wall…
I’ll try to pick up from where we finished last time; I think I was just about ready to begin the final assembly, which was done using 2in long screws, with all holes in both mating pieces pre-drilled and countersunk in preparation:
In case you’ve forgotten (I wouldn’t blame you!), these screws were only ever intended to be semi-permanent; they would remain in place only long enough to allow the glue to cure. After that, I carefully removed each screw (only a couple at a time) and then re-drilled each hole using a special drill bit to accept a Miller Dowel.
As I didn’t have enough walnut dowels going spare for this one, I had to use birch. I think it works quite well, in the sense that it gives only a subtle contrast against the lime. One thing I don’t have is a local stockist of Miller Dowels… I’d either be looking at a several hour drive for a small bag of dowels or, a postal charge of disproportional scale… On this project, I didn’t think it was worth it, given my budget and all.
In the photo above, I’d also like to point out that you cannot see the glue line, following that careful work on the bandsaw.
While cutting the biscuit slots to receive each of the shelves (I will show you the simple jig I made on another day), there was one minor mishap that I failed to mention last time… By the time I got around to dry-assembling the piece, I realised I’d cut all my slots for no.20 biscuits with the tool set for no.10s! It wasn’t the first time I’d done this but, I hadn’t previously tried to deepen them freehand, without the aid of a jig or fence… That was when the blade, the tool jumped and the cutter slipped, leaving the resultant gouge above (on the front edge, as well!). Fortunately, my digits and other body parts remain in tact.
I did chop out a section with the router and plugged it with what I thought was a scrap block with similar grain patterns. Although the patch is far from perfect, I’m pleased to say that, on the finished unit, it doesn’t stand out as much as I might have feared at the time.
That’s how it appears now, in my current home. These lighter-coloured hardwoods (ash, oak and now lime) seem to work very well against the pale, bright interior walls. As you may remember, this unit hangs on a French Cleat with 45° bevelled edges. Fixing this to the hollow walls proved to be a challenge in itself:
Originally, when I moved in and fitted the former pine unit, I used these self-drilling screws (top) that you just drive in to the plasterboard using either a no.2 Philips or pozidrive screwdriver bit. These are great for lightweight applications and so easy to use (they even come supplied with a screw). But, after only three-months in suspension, they’d lost their bit on the plasterboard and were all but ready to fall out! So, I enlarged the holes slightly and replaced these with a pair of hollow wall anchors (bottom), which are, so far, holding up very well indeed.
I’m not sure whether I’d use the French Cleat system again on a plasterboard wall, as the action of locking the main piece over a narrow unit has a ‘levering’ effect that seems to increase the risk of removing the fixings clean (or not!) from the wall.
I do like my Salvador Dalí clock, even though it stopped working some time ago. I was taken in the Surrealist movement (mostly dream interpretation) while studying art at school. Some day, I’d like to see if I can add a touch of “Surreal” to my furniture designs….
My current DVD collection – with roof for expansion, this time! Just try not to look too closely at some of those titles… ops:
Thanks for reading.