I’ve been enjoying some time away from woodworking recently, which is something I feel I haven’t really had much of for the last seven-years. I’m learning a lot about myself, life and, I also believe, growing as a person (coming out of the shed, so to speak…). That’s not to suggest that I’m giving up; it’s like any part of life or work; doing the same thing most days for any amount of time is going to get on top of you. We all need a break, sometime. Don’t let the heading of this post mislead you! 😉
Seven-years ago, I had my very first table saw and sold it on to someone (thankfully) a year later. I managed just fine without one until October 2010, when I bought another small saw on eBay. That one was sold earlier this summer. As useful as it was, I really didn’t have the space to use it (despite all the work I put in to sit my router table beside it). Now, I’m on to my third table saw and I don’t feel as though I need to comment on the space issue…
This was given to me by my dad, who was clearing out some of his old tools last weekend. I got a few other bits as well and I’ll share those further down. I kind of wish I’d taken some more of the cheaper power tools though, as I fear they may not get thrown away. They’re cheap but, they still work and, they may be of use to someone…
I have early memories of this saw being in my dad’s garage/workshop (he’s not a woodworker) when I was very young (I turned four the year this was manufactured, in 1989). It’s an old model of the Scheppach TKU Site Saw and it still works well. I can remember one my friends sneaking out to press the green button and the sound of the saw alone, at that age, was enough to scare me!
It’s very dusty, quite rusty in places and some parts and pieces may need replacing but, the motor runs smoothly (it was mostly only used to cut plastics) and, with the capacities for a 315mm blade, it could potentially rip timber up to 4in thick!
These ‘site saws’ aren’t renown for their accuracy these days. But then, how accurate does rough dimensioning need to be?
Whatever the top is made from, it has magnetic properties, which is a bonus. It also means the saw’s quite heavy as it is (plus the weight of the motor) and, as I do clearly need to be able to move it(!), I need to sort out some form of castor/trolley system.
The rip fence locks in place using a cam-type arrangement, which does seem to be solid and reliable. It is missing the short retractable fence (for safety and kickback prevention) but, I could easily make something, even if today’s part is compatible. I hope it’s parallel to the blade as there doesn’t appear to be any room for adjustment.
My temporary solution to the damaged blade rise and fall handle is to fit an M8 bolt in place. But still, it’s stiff to turn and needs a very good clean. An apparent lack of dust extraction facility doesn’t help this but then, the regulations were different, back in the late 80s.
This saw has seen some action on site and, as a consequence, the blade currently fitted has chunks missing out of the teeth, where it’s been used and abused to cut nail-ridden timber. A new ripping blade will be on the cards before I can test it out properly (after a deep clean).
I’ve already mentioned the absence of dust extraction but the crown guard itself is mounted to this substantial contraction bolted to the back of the table. It’s certainly more reassuring than something that pivots on the riving knife and, I assume that the extra steel plating acts as a kind of ‘splitter’, to further prevent binding on the back of the blade (leading to kickback). Dad says that it’s damaged and tends to catch as timber passes through but, it looks okay to me.
He says that he payed around £400 for the saw when it was new and then, another £150 or so for the folding width extension, which you can see resting beside the saw, above. This looks very convenient and only relies on one hinged leg to support it, once it’s out. There’s a larger rip fence that you can use, as opposed to the shorter one on the main table but, I haven’t yet looked in to how reliable it is.
I need to drag it all outside at some point and set it all up to show you, as I attempt to clean it.
There are a few others photos of this saw and, if you’d like to see them, please click here and you’ll be taken to my Flickr album.
I was also given this Ryobi 18v Kit (although, I haven’t yet found a link to it online). He reckons it cost another £400-500 when new and, although it’s not something I’m looking to keep, I said I would sell it on as he doesn’t have the time (I really couldn’t stand to see it all go to waste).
You get all the 18v tools shown below…
Plus a battery, charger and some other bits…
And, when you flip the lid over…
The mitre saw is setup and ready to cut! 😎
I do also need to clean this up and check that all the batteries and chargers work but, I will be looking to sell it at some point and, from the top of my head, I reckon I’d be looking for £200, in case anyone reading this (in the UK, preferably near Bristol) is interested.
I also helped myself to a few ¼in router cutters (some still sealed in the protective wax), a three-pin plug (they’re always handy) and, in between those two is the larger spanner used to change the blade on the site saw. Really I need a second one as well, as there’s no spindle lock on this machine.
I will try and hold on to the saw if I can; at least for the time being. In reality though, I clearly do not have the space for it! We’ll see… 😉
Thanks for reading.