My next video on YouTube should document the making of a small picture frame made from a minute quantity of English walnut. Today, I’m going to share with you a bit about making the mitres on each of the four corners, as I took an opportunity to try and saw blade I’d not tested before and I’d like to share some of my thoughts on that.
I also decided to make a mitre-cutting jig for my mitre saw and there will be a shorter video showing how I made that, to be uploaded within days of the picture frame project going live.
So, these components were resawn from a few lumps (approximately 2in thick) that were left over from the chair seat I carved in 2010. Some of the grain was all over the place and, at only 16mm thick (finished size), I wanted to try and get the cleanest cuts as possible.
My standard mitre saw blade has 60t, covering a diameter of around 10in (it’s either 250mm or 260mm). This works fine for most work but I really wanted to try an 80t blade, without spending a small fortune on a blade that may only receive limited (you don’t really want to use an 80t blade for general cross-cutting, unless it’s at least twice the diameter of my saw).
Having tried a few cheaper brands on a previous table saw in the past (Dart, being the brand name), I wanted to try and ‘step up’ from my previous budget, without stretching beyond reasonable limits towards the likes of Atkinson-Walker.
I ordered it from a local tool shop in Bristol and it arrived next day. Using the jig made it easy for me to get a perfect 90° joint without having to worry about any errors between the two 45° stops on the turntable of my saw.
This might make more sense when you see and hear it in the video but, as the blade is cutting, it ‘sounds’ more like a dado blade than your average circular saw blade… It feels substantial in use; assured in its resistance to flexing. I was also cutting with 20 extra teeth on this blade so, it was bound to be a bit different. The last time I owned an 80t blade was when I had a 12in mitre saw but, I don’t think I used that blade more than once (hence, why I was reluctant to spend too much here).
Hopefully, you can see that the blade did leave a clean cut on the end-grain. This walnut does have some pretty ‘gnarly’ grain on it, with some running perpendicular to the length. Had I used a proper spelch block or sacrificial fence behind the cut then, I could’ve almost certainly prevented most of that breakout and chipping (a potential hazard of rounding-over edges before cutting to length).
Thank you for reading.