Just a bit of an update for you on how things are going, as I’m part way between completing the final glue-ups of these boards; making my way in and out of the workshop throughout the course of the weekend in order to remove one board from the clamps and then to insert another.
It seems that I’ve skipped an update, here, on the simple DVD wall shelf that I began working on two-weeks ago – my apologies for that. After roughing out all the timber for the four shelves and two sides last time, I was still left with a small collection of cupped boards. This cupping wasn’t as severed as with the 10in-wide boards I’d started with but, I knew it was still likely to cause me some problems later on.
Fear not – that title bears no relevance to my workbench!! 😉
A few years ago, my mum purchased this two-seater bench-and-table combination piece, probably from one of the many catalogues she keeps under the stairs… It’s made from some kind of dark or ‘red’ hardwood and although, at first glance, you may think this timber looks quite durable, a closer look at the slats on one of the seats tells a different story…
Shortly after moving home at the end of last month/beginning of this one, I was asked to repair a drawer for someone. Sadly, it wasn’t of the traditional all-wooden construction. But, with a thin sheet of paper containing an image of the Queen being waved in my face, I said I’d have a look at this chipboard conundrum.
Another tip from “the mind of Maskery” for you, today! 😉
These cheap (<£6) vacuum bags; designed for the compressed storage of clothes and other compactable household items; provide an affordable alternative to producing laminated pieces and veneered panels, for those of us without the funds spare to splash on an AirPress kit, for example. This tip was originally featured in one of Steve’s [dubbed “The Jig” in the current issue] many British Woodworking articles, a few months ago, where he used such a bag as a ‘press’ to veneer some MDF panels.
Just in time for the half-term break, I got my arm chair all glued up at college. It’s quite a relief to finally reach this stage of this build in particular! Even though, I still have a bit of sanding and tidying up to do. To be honest, I’m not sure I would have had enough cramps, had I decided to do this one in my own workshop…
For far too long now, I’ve been in dire need of a proper bookshelf. As you’ll see in the photo to the right, my stack of woodworking books is inconvenient to say the least. There’s no risk of overloading the brackets (yet!) but, when I want to reach a title that’s near the bottom, I have to remove half the stack above.