After recently exposing myself to the risk of a bite from the infection woodturning bug; shortly after completing the first repair job, I was contacted again by the same customer, with a request to return to my lathe and produce a second strut for his chair repair. You see, while attempting to fit the replacement, he somehow, inadvertently managed to break another strut!
Looking closely at the broken end, you can see what appears to be a thread cut from a screw… I haven’t seen the rest of the chair wit my own eyes but, as most woodworkers know; screwing directly in to end-grain (following the long grain of the wood) doesn’t offer the strongest of bonds and can lead to the separation of the fibres.
Recently, I blogged briefly about how I’d been approached by someone local to turn a replacement chair ‘strut’ to replace the broken one as shown in this photo. I honestly cannot remember the last time I used my lathe, prior to this small job so, I was a little concerned that I might be out of practice…
In truth though, I approached each stage with great care and it really didn’t take very long at all. I’m not even close to the speed of a professional woodturner and, I’m sure there are some stages to which a more seasoned ‘turner may have approached things in a different manner. I got the job done, it’s a pretty close resemblance to the original and the cusomter is very pleased…
In fact, he’s so pleased, he’s e-mailed me tonight to ask if I can make another to replace the other one that he’s just broken! 😉
Remember those videos I shot of the end-grain cutting boards project a few months ago? Yeah, they went down really well and, what’s more, they seem to be experiencing continual growth on a gradual basis. One was a gift to my mother and the other two of the larger ones still remain unused in one of my kitchen cupboards – I’ve found that the smallest square (not rectangular) size actually suits me very well for sandwich-making and for the buttering of toast.
It’s quite shocking to think that I’ve been living on my own for almost five-months now and yet, I’m still using the window sill of my “bijou” bathroom as a convenient means of keeping a roll of toilet within arm’s reach! 😳 It doesn’t look tidy and that’s something which generally bothers me. I’ve been looking around at the prices of various steel or chrome-finished products (to fit in with the other bathroom fittings and furniture), ready to buy off the shelf and they were either surprisingly dear or, at the other end, the cheap ones just looked nasty and tacky.
So, armed with a spare length of 1in thick English beech (about 4in wide; I think this was a spare length that I didn’t use on my workbench drawer fronts), this has become yet another small project where I could make something useful out of, well, almost nothing (…scrap wood!).
Video no.2 in this three-part series on making end-grain cutting boards is now available to view both here and over on YouTube.
As before, I welcome all comments and opinions. If you’d rather e-mail in private, instead of posting publicly either here on this blog or on the other site then, I’m happy for you to do that (just follow the link in the right-hand column).
Part 3 isn’t too far away and, who knows, you may even hear my voice! 😀
Thanks for watching. Hope you’re enjoying this. More to come!
Back in the Summer of 2009, I built ‘my own’ workbench from British beech and briefly documented the build process on my previous blog, over on the UKworkshop site. Sadly, this function of the site is no longer available, even to viewers – which is a shame, as I used to see a fair amount of traffic coming through to this blog from there… 😉 For the not-too-distant future, I’m considering a couple more upgrades for my ‘bench, which would basically involve splitting the top in two (so that I could centralise the tool well) and fit a wagon vice on one end; all as detailed in the brand-new issue of British Woodworking magazine. For a preview on that article, if you haven’t seen this issue, take a look at Nick Gibbs’ blog. In the mean time, I thought I’d keep you entertained with a second look (for some) of how it all went together. Of course, for those of you who haven’t seen this ‘bench before, I hope there’s something you can take away from it all.
A couple of weeks back, I forewarned you of the dangers of leaving your workshop contents ‘un-prepared‘ for fluctuations in the British weather during the winter (see here). While cast iron can be cleaned of rust and protected again with relative ease, I also showed you an image of the drawers below my workbench; two of which had found themselves in a partially-open state and were refusing to budge. Yesterday, I decided to do something about this…
This time last year, I was building a 6ft long solid beech workbench on my drive way. Ever since I finished that build (and I’ll have a ‘reminder’ post for you, hopefully within the next week), I’ve been meaning to fit a series of drawers underneath. Well, I have more spare wood than every in my workshop right now. I’ve been so sick of stumbling and tripping over it lately that I decided, last week, to take a break away from my other projects and to get these three drawers done instead.