Bench Repair (Part 2)

Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.

When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳

Continue reading “Bench Repair (Part 2)”

Trouble with Tool Wells

The problem.

Last summer, I built myself a workbench, after several months of design and deliberation. Despite being a vast improvement over the previous design I was using [read: ‘struggling with‘], I’ve realised there are a couple of areas that don’t work quite as well as I had hoped… Sometimes, you can’t know these things until you’ve actually tried them out! At a later date, I hope to look at repositioning my front vice but, to begin my workbench revision, I’ve been looking at my tool well… Continue Reading…