Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer

Jubbly-bubbly... Or not!!

Most of the past week has been spent finishing (literally!) various bits and pieces – look out for future posts in the next week or so. While I began lacquering my English cherry bookshelf several weeks ago, it just wasn’t going as well as I had hoped and the finish was less than satisfactory. Before binning the leftover lacquer and switching to Osmo’s hard wax oil though, I sent an e-mail to Chestnut directly, to see if they could offer any advice…

Continue reading “Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer”

Cramps On!

All glued up!

Before lunchtime yesterday, I successfully managed to assemble my bookshelf for the very last time and left it for several hours in the cramps. I don’t think I should ‘have‘ to those extra clamps in the middle, pulling the shoulders of the shelves in tightly… Perhaps those dovetail housings could have been a little bit tighter after all?

Read on…

Sliding Towards the Finish

While I haven’t had much time on the bookshelf since Monday, I did manage to get all the sliding dovetail housings cut for the shelves on Tuesday afternoon. Then, yesterday, in the evening, I made some attempts toward sanding all internal faces and applying the first coats of finish…

Read more.

Following the Line

It’s fair to say that I’ve been procrastinating away from making progress on this cherry bookshelf (hence the flurry unrelated posts in between this one and the last!). While it took me the best part of two-days, I did eventually manage to get the dovetail joints cut and fitted, and I’m now ready to start cutting the sliding dovetail housings for the shelves, later on this week. This was also the first time I had used my new dovetail saw, made by Atkinson Walker in Sheffield.

Continue reading…