Whenever I’m working on something, I always seem to have two other projects running at the same time. You might already be aware that I’m making a folding meditation stool and you’ve probably seen in recent weeks that I’m slowly making progress on a pair of chess boards. But what you won’t have seen much of is this third project, which I’ve only really started this week.
Last weekend, I wasn’t at my best. I’m been suffering with a persistent cold/sore throat for a good week and I feared it was going to prevent me from getting out an enjoying what has become a weekly walk at this time of year. But it didn’t and, so that I didn’t push myself too hard, I decided I would finally tackle one of the shortest walks in the book titled 8 Wild Walks Across the Mendip Hills.
On paper it’s always looked like a pretty boring, uninspired walk, if I’m honest. There’s probably a lot I’m missing as I’m not much of a geography enthusiast plus, I’d already seen this area of the Mendips too many times. So, while I was up and ready to get going, I decided that I would try to extend the walk slightly, to make it more appealing.
Tomorrow, I hope to be buying some pine so that I can finally build myself a proper desk for typing on (I’ve spent the last two weeks as I am now; sat on the floor, with my laptop resting on top of an unpacked box! This cannot go on!!). I’ve also been thinking a lot about timbers I could use for one of the two guitar builds I’d like to get stuck in to some time and, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the subject, along with the pros and cons of using various woods for certain components.
My main resource so far has been from an excellent book titled Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock.
When I first started woodworking at home, back in the summer of 2005, the very first piece I made was a simple ‘Craftsman-style‘ wall shelf in pine (Scandinavian, joinery-grade redwood). I took the plans directly from a book [The World’s Best Storage and Shelving Projects] and modified various dimensions in order for the unit to accommodate my stash of DVDs. Despite its garish appearance with the tung oil finish and the crudeness of some of the joints I used (particularly the beech dowels used to peg the shelves), this wall shelf made the move with me to my new home at the end of March this year. All in spite of the fact that, with a total capacity for forty-eight DVDs on each of the two lower shelves, it wasn’t long after the completion date that my DVD collection had over-grown [thanks, Play.com and CD-WOW!!] and I was having to stack cases on top of the unit to try and keep things ‘organised’!
It’s taken me almost six-years to make this decision but, I’ve decided now that the time is right to build a new wall shelf with increased capacity!