I’ve been Keeking a lot lately about a project I started. It was something that I initially wanted to remain as ‘secret’ until a big unveiling with a YouTube video; laminating layer after layer of American lime from my offcuts stash, as the odd follower made their guess or suggestion as to what it might be. Two people were very close and in fact, it you were to halve each of their answers (bandsaw box and a turned bowl) and to bring two of those halves together, you would’ve come to the correct conclusion of a Bandsaw Bowl.
It was all going so well until I mounted it on a circle cutting jig last night. Now, this beech lump o’ lime looks like to find a space in one of my stocked up bags of firewood, ready for collection by someone… From somewhere.
Some of you may have already seen this on The Wood Haven a few weeks ago but, for all you other woodworkers out there, I recently finished an Arts & Crafts or “Craftsman“-style wall shelf made from solid English oak offcuts I’d had lying around for a while.
On Friday and immediately after taking those photos for the latest Workshop Tour, I began sorting through my offcuts of 1in English oak. This stuff was left over from a dining table I made about a year ago, for which I had to buy a load of new boards for the top at the last-minute, which had left me with this pile until recently:
I need to start working through my offcuts in order to clear some space in the workshop. However, the only item I really ‘need‘ at the minute is a general storage shelf; the depth of which should allow me to make use of the narrow widths available…
My first exhibition (Furnish, at Paintworks) opens exactly one week from now and, right now, when I’m not doing any payed work, I’m spending all my free time trying to get my other pieces polished and ready (hence the lack of action on this blog, recently). About two-months ago, I “completed” a contrasting curved-fronted cabinet in ‘white’ and brown oak. In actual fact, it’s still awaiting a final coat of wax and two knobs or pulls that’ll allow someone to actually open the door and drawer with ease… This is why the piece has remained unfinished, until now.
Back on the curved-front cabinet, I’m now focusing my attention on cracking that elusive curved door, with the raised and fielded panel. While it may appear almost impossible at first glance, I have figured out a way of doing it (with a little help from UKW! ;-)) that should work rather well. Trouble is, all this jig-making is very time-consuming and the cost of such a small subject appears to be escalating…
If you’re a regular reader of my work and any previous WIP (work-in-progress) threads on the UKworkshop forum then, you’ll know I’m not someone who gets things right all the time! I’m not afraid to admit to all mistakes I make and I like to think if helps others to learn and prevent them (you!) from producing the same errors! I could never make a piece of furniture with one or two mistakes and then lie about it at the end; saying that it all went together perfectly – that’s just not me!
On and off for the past week, I’ve been discreetly working away on a small cabinet made from regular English oak and brown oak, with a curved front. That means both the drawer front and door will also have to be curved – not something I’ve done before! While I feel I’ve made very good progress already, I’m once again frustrated with myself for making a couple of basic errors.