Last week, I found some time to tinker and experiment with the dust extraction setup for my bandsaw. For the last few years, I’ve been using a setup that allows you to connect a vacuum hose to an angled port that surround the blade just below the table. It’s often worked well, collecting a majority of the sawdust and also leaving less to settle on the lower blade guides.
But it’s not always been as effective as it used to be and I think the change occurred once I added a simple dust separator in to the system, which has always been the Triton DCA300 Dust Bucket. Don’t get me wrong; I’m sure that another separator (particularly a cyclone) would give better results but the Triton one seems to offer an airflow that’s greatly reduced from the force drawn in by the vacuum on its own.
My latest YouTube video offers a couple of simple tips on using and maintaining your dust extractors that could help to maintain and restore your airflow. If you’ve suffered a loss of or drop in suction from either a twin-bag HVLP chip collector or, perhaps even a smaller HPLV vacuum-type; these tricks could really help you out.
One tip near the beginning offers an easier way to reattach the bottom bag without a second pair of hands. Also, you get to see how convenient it isn’t to access each of my extractors in a small workshop! 😉
After that most-recent video-tour of my workshop, a few people contacted me asking more about the extraction setup I have.
It’s far from perfect, at the moment… I think it’s close to being very good but, I need to attempt to make some half-decent connections where the waste pipe meets the flexible hose, and vice-versa. I’ll also be purchasing some proper vacuum hose to replace the pond filter hose I purchased on a whim (saving money isn’t always the best option).
Any comments or suggestions you may have are more than welcome. I’m happy to read and hear whatever you may have to say.
…Well, sort of! While I have been able to sit here typing and idly surfing the ‘net for as much as I would’ve liked over the past month, I have just about completed reorganising my workshop, which is only minutes away from my new home. It all started a few weeks ago, when I listed a tall shelving unit on eBay – and then, it sold, for £16! 😎
This left a pleasantly large void in front of the rear window but, don’t fret; I already had plans for what I was going to do with this space…
It’s all good and well having a dust extractor to clear all the chips from your planer-thicknesser but, when you’re busy, you’ve got lots of timber and a lot of material to remove, you’ll soon find those bags fill up very quickly! Replacements (most commonly sold in packs of ten) from the manufacturer can easily work out at £1 per bag, or even slightly more. Then, with firms like Axminster, you also have the delivery charge (£4.95 – unless your order total equates to more than £50). With that in mind, I’m pleased to reveal that I have found a cheaper source of suitable bags for my ADE1200 extractor…
On Wednesday afternoon, I went to my local timber merchant (Staddons) to pick up a sheet of plywood for some ‘workshop furniture’. I was hoping to save some money and get a sheet of 18mm shuttering ply – it’s not the best quality, I’ll grant you. But, it’s generally fine for storage in the workshop. Now, I was hoping they’d be able to cut this sheet down for me so I could get it in my car. Unfortunately, I discovered that they will not cut shuttering ply on their saws – something to do with the glues and resins between the laminations ruining their saws [I’m sure she meant ‘blades‘!]. Not only that but, this, being the cheapest of all plywoods, is rarely ever even close to being flat, which could again cause problems on the saw. Continue reading…