I have a lot more to share with you from my weekend in Exmoor but for the next couple of days, I’d like to steer away from that to catch up with a few other goings-on in my home.
Quite recently, I spent a few hours one afternoon attempting to repair the base cabinet in my kitchen, which was sagging by the best part of an inch! You can see, at the back of this photo, where the base has dropped away from the thin back panel.
Continue reading “Base Cabinet Repair”
Another month is about to end and I’ve just been able to squeeze in a new YouTube before March comes to a close. I am (slowly) working on a woodworking video that I filmed in my workshop almost two-years ago but I recorded a lot of footage and it’s taking a long time to work through the motions.
This video was originally going to follow the other and yet, with no narration needed and a fairly brief collection of video clips to compose; it was ready for uploading in less than two-hours.
It’s related to a blog post I wrote sometime before Christmas – Fixing a Sagging Wall Unit.
Thanks for reading, for watching and I’ll have more DIY-related stills and video coming throughout the course of 2015!
While on Friday I set about correcting the sagging wall unit in my kitchen, Saturday morning was partially spent filling a couple of large holes between cabinets. When I say ‘holes’, I’m actually referring to the vacant spaces that can sometimes be found between wall cabinets. Personally, if I was designing a kitchen, I’d try to exclude them, even where the can be used to run services (pipes an wires).
In my experience, they’re a trap for cobwebs and a flue for downwards draughts that aren’t welcome in winter. That’s why I decided to look at enclosing them.
Continue reading “Closing Holes”
This weekend has started with a somewhat-familiar bout of DIY. But instead of reaching for my dust sheets, paint brush and roller, I’ve been able to break out a few simple woodworking and carpentry tools that’ve slowly begun to gather light rust inside my storage boxes.
Continue reading “Fixing a Sagging Wall Unit”
Sometimes, in life (and, in fact, in woodwork as well), a little improvisation can go a long way to getting you out of an awkward situation.
Before I moved in to my new place, with most of my stuff either in the new place or in the van, ready to go the next morning, I wanted to check my e-mails and do a bit of surfing to keep up with the goings on in the world of the internet. My problem was that, while I had access to my laptop (and an internet connection, through Wi-Fi), I didn’t have a desk or table to work on. But, what I did have were two bedside drawer units (again, in horrible hidden chipboard, made to look like sapele – a poor man’s mahogany – as well!) and so, I was able to do this:
Not only did the stacked height make for a comfortable working position while standing (I never would’ve been able to get my legs in close enough, had I tried to sit down at one of these) but, by removing the top drawer and reinserting it upside-down, I had a convenient surface on which I could use my mouse, too! All that’s missing is the obligatory cup of tea… 😉
Continue reading “Improvisation”
After fighting with a bad cold for the previous week, I finally got back in the workshop today to finish fitting the floorboards of my latest workshop ‘accessory’.
Continue reading “Workshop Floor – Done!”