Living in flat with minimal household facilities, I found myself wanting – and, almost of necessity, needing – to use the top surface of my small fridge/freezer as a horizontal surface to hold and store items.
One problem I’ve always been faced with is that, in being a cold surface, it is the ideal place for warm water to settle and form droplets (even small puddles) as it cools. But, I recently came up with a very simple solution to counteract this and it didn’t involve making mounds of mess.
At the time of writing this; my landlord has already agreed to replace the rotting timber windows that adorn my ground-floor property. Single-glazing doesn’t help to provide the most comfortable of winter-time temperatures and with the temperatures having plummeted to as low as freezing (and below) in recent weeks; I decided to take a chance upon trying an inexpensive secondary glazing film kit
Almost every night at this time of the year, my single-glazed windows invite the warm-air molecules to stay awhile as the temperature outside begins to plummet. In short, this leads to condensation.
With wooden windows (particularly those of which are neglected from regular maintenance), condensation can lead to a case of wet rot as this water runs down the glass and is absorbed by the horizontal surfaces. Regular maintenance (painting, putty, etc.) can prevent this but it won’t stop the condensation from forming.
It does look as though the main cause of the rot that spread throughout our bathroom floor came from the toiletcistern, which is boxed in and seemed to be forever sweating litres upon gallons of water. After fitting the new floor, we lifted the lid to find condensation was still running and forming around the outside. Insulation is a popular solution to this, with the internet throwing up the suggest to lag around the inside with either an old gym or exercise mat or, good old expanding foam.
All along, I’ve felt as though ventilation (drilling a hole through the exterior wall and fitting a vent) would fix this. My dad’s solution was to throw a towel over the cistern and to ‘insulate’ it that way… Although the situation eased at first, it didn’t go away.
I’ve just sat down to write this, having spent an hour out in the workshop this evening – after work and in temperatures that are barely anywhere above freezing!
You see, I was watching another YouTube video from the Ultimate Handyman last week where he shows you how to fit simple, cheap louvre vents to an up-and-over garage door. My workshop’s always been in need of further ventilation since I draft-proofed the door and there is an ominous smell of ‘damp’ each time I’m out there. I don’t currently own a diamond core bit to drill the walls and I liked that you can fit these higher up the door which, in my mind, means you’re less likely to get frozen toes… I could be wrong!
Either way, it might help to pass some fresh air up in to the roof space for the time being and I decided to just get this done and to have a go and hopefully get back out there to do some proper woodwork very soon.
During Day 2 of the bathroom floor refurb, I was actually elsewhere, amidst the wind, rain and snow of the Cotswolds! My dad had a little bit of work left to do in fitting the last panel for the floor, before adding the vinyl tiles and sorting out the plumbing.
Going back in time around 16 hours; you can see one of the old joists running out from under the floor supporting the bath…
To start off with then, here’s a photo of the ‘gap’ behind the bathroom sink, where any previous sealant has crumbed and broken away. At a guess, I might question whether the correct grade of sealant or caulk was used. In front of the splashback, it is subject to a high volume of water at times. It seems to be fine in other places.
If you were to look more carefully from the right angle though, you’d see that the sink unit runs at a different level to the window sill behind. This suggests that’s something’s out, if the base of the unit hasn’t deteriorated… Maybe I can level it, once I get inside and underneath.