This weekend, the weather’s been so nice that I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my Saturday afternoon that cutting up a sheet of dust-ridden 18mm MDF on the drive! 😀
Staddons must’ve received their delivery later on Friday afternoon, as they had a sheet ready to cut to size by the time I arrived on Saturday morning. After studying a cutting sheet I’d set out using the components in Google SketchUp, I asked them to crosscut the sheet at 1600mm, leaving <840mm x 1220mm on the other end. I was a bit optimistic when I assumed that this would fit to my small van with ease… It did fit but, the larger half was angled at a position that meant it resting against my head during the short journey back to the workshop! I wish I’d taken a photo! 😉
Continue reading “Router Table Begins!”
I was hoping to have my router table build underway by now. At lunchtime earlier, as soon as I finished work for the week; I popped in to the nearby timber merchant to collect a sheet of 18mm MDF. I almost couldn’t believe it when I was told that they were out of stock! I guess it’s just another reminder that procrastination doesn’t pay… Had I gone to buy this sheet a week ago (regardless of the weekend’s weather forecast), it probably would’ve been in stock and I could’ve made a start today, if not sooner.
Well, at least I do now have the rest of my order from Axminster, including the Kreg pocket-hole screws that I’ll be using to assemble the new table. I’ve decided to go with ‘regular’ MDF for this (not MR moisture resistant), as it’ll only live and be abused within the workshop (not sitting in direct contact with a damp wall or floor) and the painted finish should also offer some protection.
I’m still struggling to find someone locally who can supply me with a sheet of Formica laminate – does anyone have any new suggestions for the Bristol area? (Just remembered – I was going to e-mail Robbins, just in case!)
On the other hand, it’s quite fortunate that I haven’t already collected all of my materials as I’ve made some slight alterations to the finished dimensions of the router table design…
It will remain 800mm wide on top but, I’m increasing the depth to 560mm. It may sound like an odd size but, I really couldn’t decide between 500mm and 600mm so, I decided to (try and) go halfway way! Also, the height’s been increased slightly to 960mm, which is about 30mm higher than my 16in bandsaw, which has often felt a bit low. This also provides a little extra clearance for my router, measuring vertically.
You see, I need to get this sheet cut once so that it will fit neatly in the back of my van… 🙂
I’m hoping to collect it tomorrow morning, if I can drag myself out of bed. Today, I have been playing with getting the aluminium insert plate ready and I hope to have some photos for you over the weekend.
Thanks for reading.