There are many things I hope to write about over the next week but I’m going to start with a simple update announcement concerning a brand-new addition to this blog/website…
Inspired by this recent video from Ana White, I’ve spent a short space of time over the weekend thinking about a window-style mirror that I make for my flat.
It’s an old building with windows only down one wall (one in each room), as another building backs on to this. With high ceilings, it can also get dim even with the lights in full glow and, while I’ve had an idea to source a large mirror to help disperse more of the limited natural light, it may cost about the same for me to just make one.
So, I’ve been asked about fitting some kind of gate to fit on my mother’s decking. Naturally, whenever I’m asked about making something, the first question I ask myself is, ‘is this something I could make?‘.
It needs to be fairly lightweight as it’ll straddle a 1710mm gap between two newell posts, which are never going to be set like a pair of anchors. ‘Cheap’ is the word that, as often, if floating around as the main cause for these gates (it’ll have to be a double with that span) is to keep the dog from running off.
If you’re subscribed to my YouTube channel then you’ll already know that I recently uploaded a video on the making of my magnetic knife block from last year. If you’ve noticed this upload appear twice in your subscription feed then it’s because I have re-uploaded the same video – in the first edition, I was made aware (by several viewers who left comments) that there was an issue with the narration running out of sync and beyond the end of the video footage; prolonging the length with an additional minute of black screen.
This has been corrected in the second upload. I’d like to leave the original video in its place because it’s already received a number of interactions. What I realised was that I made a mistake in recording and positioning the segments of narration before a final edit of the individual scenes – let that be a lesson to any other YouTubers or video-uploaders out there! It seems as though the strips of narration are not attached to the video timeline and so, as that shifts, the audio remains where it was.
So, from now on, this is the kind of schedule I’ll be following when editing a video for uploading. It is a lengthy process and I like to save as many individual versions of the video in as many states as you see listed below:
1. Initial edit and trimming of scenes.
2. Adding transitions between scenes.
3. Playing through the video to check and increasing the play-speed of any scenes where appropriate.
4. Recording and adding the narration.
5. Adjusting the sound levels between scenes and narration before a final check and then, the uploading!
Thanks for reading and I hope you like it. 🙂
This post lies dangerously close to being labelled as ‘wood-related’! It’s been a little while since I wrote about anything I’ve made or have been thinking of making but I’ve had a place in my mind for this little job since the day I moved in to my current flat.
I am renting so I’m not normally expected to do things like this but I see the box as quite an eyesore for such an open space and I’d like to try and tidy it up a little bit. I’m hardly going to be defacing the property in any way. If anything, it’ll come as an improvement to this corner.
It’s already the middle of September! About a month ago, I was finishing off a pair of end-grain cutting boards… Not my first of the year but I wanted one of these to go to a friend for her birthday (she previously expressed an admiration for the ones I made earlier this year). Instead of doing another video on the making of these, I decided to instead document it here on my blog. It’s been a while since I’ve written about a project like this.
These really don’t take very long to make, especially as I’ve had two previous attempts at ‘practising’ in the last couple of years. This post may end up quite a long one though, as I did happen to capture very many images along the way.
A few days ago, I found myself wanting to record and upload a Keek that would be entered in Richard Morley’s competition (or #keekcontest). You can click here to see a complete list of the entries submitted (each one is no more than 36-seconds long) but the basic requirement was simply that we would need to ‘rout something’.
To suit my intentions, I needed a device to hold my smart phone while I performed an operation on the router table (working single-handedly with any machinery is never safe). I just about managed to clamp the magnetic flip-case of my smart phone to the lightweight, aluminium tripod I use with my digital camera but it’s now got me thinking about making a more permanent fixture for this set up…