I wasn’t intending to have anything other than a lie-in on Saturday morning but when someone was willing to pay for and collect my lathe at 9am, I knew I had to be there on-time. Early, in fact!
It happened so fast that I didn’t even take the time to capture a final photo (with the disc sander removed from the equation). So, you’ll have to accept the current setup as above; with a pair of sawhorses providing a place of rest for the old Hegner.
While I do believe that my workshop is fairly close to being ‘complete’, as far as having all the right tools and machinery goes, I’m also open to the idea that certain pieces of equipment may need to be upgraded, as your woodworking progress. One can certainly have ‘enough’ tools but, that should never come to mean that he who has all the tools should stop thinking about buying new tools altogether…
Quite recently, I’ve been thinking along the lines of introducing a small edge sander or linisher in to my workshop, as a replacement for the disc sander.
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Following on from a recent trip down to Plymouth to purchase a pillar drill; I spent Friday driving around the southern counties of Wiltshire and Hampshire, after winning an Elektra Beckum PK200 table saw [now brandedMetabo] in an eBay auction (I had a few other items to drop off while I was down there.).
Since the last update on the side table I’m building, I’ve got to the position now where the frame is all glued up and I’m now well in to working on the quartered walnut-veneered top. While I’ve kept my progress posts updated regularly on a couple of UK woodworking forums, I do apologise for not keeping you guys better informed here, on my blog – it’s just that, I’ve learnt so much from the forums over the years that I feel like I almost ‘owe’ them something in return… Sorting through my images and typing all that text can take a good hour, after which, there aren’t always enough hours in the day to start blogging (it is World Cup season, after all!! 😀 …No, as an Englishman, I probably shouldn’t be smiling, at this point!).
What a difference a bit of daylight makes inside the workshop!
Just in case you haven’t figured out what I’m saying ;-), my first order with TLC-Direct arrived yesterday, as promised. It’s great that they can makes such ‘Fragile‘ items available for local delivery. What I found even more gratifying was that my order arrived complete with the two 3ft tubes I was previously informed were temporarily out of stock – I highly recommend this company and the addition of daylight fluorescent tubes to your workshop. Continue reading…