This is an idea I’ve been entertaining for a number of months, although not something I had cooked up entirely within my own skull.
My flat is lacking in light, being on the ground floor and with only window window fitted in each room. Instead of adding lamps and racking up the electricity bill, I came up with the idea to use mirrors. This is an alternative take on simply buying a ‘rectangular frame’. I like the thought of being able to add the impression of an extra window in my living room.
This post has been coming for too long. I’ve been delaying and postponing in in the hope I’d be able to write it as a conclusion to this DIY project… Right now, it looks as though I’d be doing very well to condense the grand finale in to fourth instalment!
Sometimes, we have to stop trying to be perfectionists. Now, remember that sentence and read on…
Taking care of your own home repairs can be a welcome proposal but at the same time, it’s very hard to escape from the mess you’re constantly living in (at least, until the job is done). That’s why I try to end each day (however short the actual session of work may’ve been) with a reasonable tidy up. In a bathroom situation like mine, you don’t want to be running for the loo at 3am only to stumble over an upended trowel…
There was a third DIY task that I accomplished in the kitchen over the weekend and it was without a doubt the simplest task of them all, even though I suspect some people may not be as accustomed to to this kind of job as others…
I installed a simple wall rack for hanging saucepan lids.
While on Friday I set about correcting the sagging wall unit in my kitchen, Saturday morning was partially spent filling a couple of large holes between cabinets. When I say ‘holes’, I’m actually referring to the vacant spaces that can sometimes be found between wall cabinets. Personally, if I was designing a kitchen, I’d try to exclude them, even where the can be used to run services (pipes an wires).
In my experience, they’re a trap for cobwebs and a flue for downwards draughts that aren’t welcome in winter. That’s why I decided to look at enclosing them.
This weekend has started with a somewhat-familiar bout of DIY. But instead of reaching for my dust sheets, paint brush and roller, I’ve been able to break out a few simple woodworking and carpentry tools that’ve slowly begun to gather light rust inside my storage boxes.
Having been in this flat now for over 8 months, I can say that I’ve spent the past few feeling as though I’m some kind of ‘live-in maintenance man‘. When something’s broken or has been in need of improvement, I’ve offered to repair or replace it (unless it’s electrical, of course). I quite enjoy a bit of DIY (working to my own rules and at my own pace) so this doesn’t bother me too much. Until recently, I spent several weeks living in a near-building site-like state as I attempted to repair and redecorate the main living room walls.
By far, this has become my proudest achievement in this property to date:
I am no plasterer and I’ve never been keen on painting but a couple of coats of Dulux’s lemon tropics has, for me, transformed the feel of this previously overly-magnolia property.
But today, I’m going to share with you some recent improvements I’ve made in the bathroom.