In my last update, I believe the pair of book boxes I was making were edging close to completion (or, at least, the finishing stage). That was over two-months ago and, even though I’ve since effectively closed the door on that workshop for the time being, I can tell you that I worked on three separate (and a-little-bit-secret) items during the closing weeks.
Today’s update concludes the book box project for the time being.
I’ve just sat down to write this, having spent an hour out in the workshop this evening – after work and in temperatures that are barely anywhere above freezing!
You see, I was watching another YouTube video from the Ultimate Handyman last week where he shows you how to fit simple, cheap louvre vents to an up-and-over garage door. My workshop’s always been in need of further ventilation since I draft-proofed the door and there is an ominous smell of ‘damp’ each time I’m out there. I don’t currently own a diamond core bit to drill the walls and I liked that you can fit these higher up the door which, in my mind, means you’re less likely to get frozen toes… I could be wrong!
Either way, it might help to pass some fresh air up in to the roof space for the time being and I decided to just get this done and to have a go and hopefully get back out there to do some proper woodwork very soon.
Believe it or not, I’ll have another video for you soon on some ‘modifications’ I’ve been making to my workbench! 😯 While I was waiting for glue to dry at one part though, I got on a wired-in the new DOL Starter I bought for my 6in planer (jointer), as I alluded to at the end of my mobile base video.
A few months ago, during one of their all-too-frequent sales, I ordered a pocket hole plug cutter from Rutlands. This was in the time before I purchased my pocket screw jig but, as it was on special offer and I knew I’d be wanting one eventually, I decided to take the plunge. At the time though, they were out of stock and unable to clarify when it would be available again… They were talking months, not weeks!
A few months went by and, only a few weeks ago, I placed another order with them for this same item, as it was now shown live on their website as ‘in stock’ and available to buy. Thankfully, the plug cutter arrived next-working day and, although I haven’t done an awful lot with it since, I have at least been able to tinker with it enough to be able to share some of my initial impressions and opinions of its performance with you, here.
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Along with rare earth magnets (as detailed in my previous post), I’m also beginning to realise that springs (particularly the compression-type) also have a place in the woodworking workshop.
Above, I’ve fitted a 75mm long compression spring between the two M16 nuts on the depth stop for my recently-purchased ED16B pillar drill. I’m sure I made it clear before that I was a little disappointed with this arrangement when I first purchased the machine. Finger-tight pressure between the two nuts was not enough when running the drill on one of the higher speeds – they always vibrate loose so, you have to use a spanner (or, preferably, two). But, with this spring (and a couple of M16 washers) now in place, that’s all in the past. Now, I can easily set the drilling depth without having to reach for a tool – my thanks go to Mike Garnham for this solution.