For those who haven’t already seen this through other social media outlets; here we have my most recent YouTube upload, where I set about repairing the mitred corners of a serving tray I made about seven-years ago.
Tomorrow, I’ll add a blog post, outlining a few still and details to complement this repair.
As I write this, I’m currently working on a new video on a walk I did in December. That should appear soon and will then be followed by further DIY and woodworking uploads. If you haven’t done so, I would like to encourage you to subscribe to my channel on YouTube. My following appears to be growing at a steady rate and I’m confident that I’ll reach the 4,000 mark before too long.
It’s already the middle of September! About a month ago, I was finishing off a pair of end-grain cutting boards… Not my first of the year but I wanted one of these to go to a friend for her birthday (she previously expressed an admiration for the ones I made earlier this year). Instead of doing another video on the making of these, I decided to instead document it here on my blog. It’s been a while since I’ve written about a project like this.
These really don’t take very long to make, especially as I’ve had two previous attempts at ‘practising’ in the last couple of years. This post may end up quite a long one though, as I did happen to capture very many images along the way.
This post is mainly for the benefit of those who do not currently follow my Facebook page, where a few of us have already begun a discussion on this. Of course, I’d encourage you to head over there now and to click the Like button if you haven’t done so already!
I received an e-mail from one of my recent cutting board recipients last night that. When I saw the heading, I knew it wasn’t good news and could only assume that something had gone wrong with at least one of the boards I’d made for them. In my mind; at least one board had begun delaminating along at least one glue line. But, as you can see in the photo above; what actually happened was far more devastating!
I’ve been having great difficulty with Windows Live Movie Maker (now known as just Movie Maker) of late and that is the main reason I’ve been unable to upload Part 2 of my latest cutting board series until today. It’s been a month since part one otherwise and I had been struggling to find the time to sit down and chop through over one hour’s worth of footage but, it’s online now and is available for you to view, share and critique. 🙂
If you’re struggling with the same program yourself, here are some tips that I tried to get it working…
Just a bit of an update for you on how things are going, as I’m part way between completing the final glue-ups of these boards; making my way in and out of the workshop throughout the course of the weekend in order to remove one board from the clamps and then to insert another.
Remember those videos I shot of the end-grain cutting boards project a few months ago? Yeah, they went down really well and, what’s more, they seem to be experiencing continual growth on a gradual basis. One was a gift to my mother and the other two of the larger ones still remain unused in one of my kitchen cupboards – I’ve found that the smallest square (not rectangular) size actually suits me very well for sandwich-making and for the buttering of toast.
If not for the difficulties I’ve had in trying to upload this video (coupled with the time I’ve spent agonising over a SketchUp drawing for a future magazine article) then, I’ve have had this second instalment online for you much sooner!
Part 2 in my series on making an octagonal towel stand.
It looks as though this is going to become another three-part series after all. I’ve tried hard to trim this second episode down as much as possible but, I feel I’ve got a lot of useful content in there. I start by turning the square post in to an octagonal section (picking up from where Part 1 left off) and getting everything ready for the finishing stage, which will come in Part 3, along with the assembly.
Sorry that you’ve had to wait so long for this. Hope that it’s been worth it, though!
I’d also like to thank Joe Abbott for pointing me in the direction of Windows Live Writer, which is compatible with any blogging software and is free to download. It’s dead easy to use and allows me to blog in ‘visual editor mode’ where WordPress appears to have started playing up for me of late (thanks again, Joe! ).
If you’re a regular reader of my work and any previous WIP (work-in-progress) threads on the UKworkshop forum then, you’ll know I’m not someone who gets things right all the time! I’m not afraid to admit to all mistakes I make and I like to think if helps others to learn and prevent them (you!) from producing the same errors! I could never make a piece of furniture with one or two mistakes and then lie about it at the end; saying that it all went together perfectly – that’s just not me!