It’s that time of the year again and I’d really like to have a few small gifts coming out of the workshop very soon! There hasn’t been a lot of other action going on lately but, you may recall that I was looking at making a couple of boxes in a recent post.
After work yesterday, I wrapped up warm, braved the cold and went out to sort through this pile of offcuts I’d accumulated weeks ago.
Most of the past week has been spent finishing (literally!) various bits and pieces – look out for future posts in the next week or so. While I began lacquering my English cherry bookshelf several weeks ago, it just wasn’t going as well as I had hoped and the finish was less than satisfactory. Before binning the leftover lacquer and switching to Osmo’s hard wax oil though, I sent an e-mail to Chestnut directly, to see if they could offer any advice…
While I should be cracking on with my exhibition pieces (only two months to go, now!!), I’ve fallen back on to the English cherry bookshelf I was working on a few weeks ago. Partly because I need to regain some space on top of my workbench; but also, because I need some time to reflect and consider a couple of points on my other pieces.
While I haven’t had much time on the bookshelf since Monday, I did manage to get all the sliding dovetail housings cut for the shelves on Tuesday afternoon. Then, yesterday, in the evening, I made some attempts toward sanding all internal faces and applying the first coats of finish…
It’s fair to say that I’ve been procrastinating away from making progress on this cherry bookshelf (hence the flurry unrelated posts in between this one and the last!). While it took me the best part of two-days, I did eventually manage to get the dovetail joints cut and fitted, and I’m now ready to start cutting the sliding dovetail housings for the shelves, later on this week. This was also the first time I had used my new dovetail saw, made by Atkinson Walker in Sheffield.
For far too long now, I’ve been in dire need of a proper bookshelf. As you’ll see in the photo to the right, my stack of woodworking books is inconvenient to say the least. There’s no risk of overloading the brackets (yet!) but, when I want to reach a title that’s near the bottom, I have to remove half the stack above.