Anyone who payed close attention to my Side Gate project a few months ago may remember that I chose to trim a good 40mm (1½in) off the length of the ring latch that was fitted to secure the gate in its closed position. This was purely for visual aesthetics from the outside; I didn’t want the latch to interfere with the ‘line’ between two of the vertical boards…
While, the gate is still awaiting its second coat of paint (!!), it wasn’t at all long after fitting the gate furniture that our old nemesis oxidisation made an unwelcome appearance!
Continue reading “Rusted Ring Latches”
Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):
Continue reading “Making a T&G Gate (Part 2)”
Until I recently started finally building a garden gate for my mother [more on that to follow!], which involves working with timbers 7ft or 2.1m long, the folding sawhorses I made last year had spent the past five-months living outside my current home. You see, when I moved in, there was still some work to be done (boxing in, etc.) and I needed something to work on. Even after I finished, I got so used to not tripping over them in my workshop that I decided to leave them outside until I’d made some space inside the workshop… As you can probably guess, that never quite happened!
Continue reading “Sawhorse Survivor”