For this window-mirror, I wanted to use rectangular glazing that would complement the functional window that this construction is likely to be situated across the room from. Looking around at various packs of glass tiles and they only appeared to come in square sizes. For a while, I was tempted to buy a pack of mirrored-acrylic tiles from a seller on eBay, knowing they can be cut with woodworking equipment.
Looking around some more and I found Ikea’s Lots mirror tiles and, for the quantity I required, they were set to work out at around half the cost of the acrylic, even before postage. So, after collecting three packs from Ikea in Bristol, I was left with the challenge of having to cut the glass myself – all of which is detailed below.
Almost every night at this time of the year, my single-glazed windows invite the warm-air molecules to stay awhile as the temperature outside begins to plummet. In short, this leads to condensation.
With wooden windows (particularly those of which are neglected from regular maintenance), condensation can lead to a case of wet rot as this water runs down the glass and is absorbed by the horizontal surfaces. Regular maintenance (painting, putty, etc.) can prevent this but it won’t stop the condensation from forming.
Having met landlord for the first time and almost by chance just over a week ago now, I was given the green light to go ahead and fit a wall mirror above the bathroom sink. This is actually something I bought several weeks ago from a well-known Swedish furniture emporium… But hey, if it balances out my morals then I ended up spending a greater value of money on Pic’N’Mix sweets that day!! 😉
After fitting the mirror, I decided that I wanted to make one other alteration and that was to increase my sense of privacy within this ground-floor flat. I naturally have to lower the blind when I’m taking a shower and with the toilet sat in front of the window, well, you can imagine how uncomfortable I sometimes feel with the window at head height!
So, I’m now going to show you how I went about fitting some self-adhesive privacy film.
As I’m still waiting for the weather to improve so that I can finish painting our new back door and show you some finished shots; in the meantime, I thought I’d try and update you a bit about what went on in between the previous post and now. Although I didn’t take any ‘progress’ shots of the door hanging-process in action, I can at least show you the kind of state my workbench ends up in – even though I’m working away from the workshop…!