I have a lot more to share with you from my weekend in Exmoor but for the next couple of days, I’d like to steer away from that to catch up with a few other goings-on in my home.
Quite recently, I spent a few hours one afternoon attempting to repair the base cabinet in my kitchen, which was sagging by the best part of an inch! You can see, at the back of this photo, where the base has dropped away from the thin back panel.
Another month is about to end and I’ve just been able to squeeze in a new YouTube before March comes to a close. I am (slowly) working on a woodworking video that I filmed in my workshop almost two-years ago but I recorded a lot of footage and it’s taking a long time to work through the motions.
This video was originally going to follow the other and yet, with no narration needed and a fairly brief collection of video clips to compose; it was ready for uploading in less than two-hours.
In my flat, there are two wall-mounted extractor fans that serve the common purpose of removing warm and damp air. You’ll find one in the bathroom and the other in the kitchen.
My bathroom fan has always worked well. But in the kitchen, the fan has often been very slow to start (if and when it decides to do that much) and, while it is spinning, it often sounds as though it’s ‘knocking’ and would simultaneously create a rhythm of its own.
During his recent visit, I raised this issue with my landlord, who suggested the first port of all should be to open it up and clean it out. I volunteered to do this in my own time and this is the short story that documents the process.
Shortly before Christmas, I completed the renovation of saturated shower walls in my bathroom. You’ve possibly already seen the blog posts (if not then, please click here for Part 1) but if you’re in to your YouTube and have an hour to spare(!), you might be interested in witnessing the video footage I compiled at the same time.
If you’d prefer to watch all-four videos over on YouTube then please click here to be taken directly to the playlist. But please do not that my videos are not instructional any more than they are far from perfect… I share these merely to inspire others to tackle their own DIY issues and to show you how I approach a situation.
Thank you for reading and thank you for watching.
Thanks must also go to people who’ve offered support. In this respect, my greatest thanks go to James Mason of Our Build for exchanging a number of e-mails after an initial connection on Twitter. Beyond that, I found numerous videos from DIY Doctor and Ultimate Handyman to be extremely helpful and informative. These guys each have their own channels on YouTube as well. Please do take a look as their content is entirely free!
This is the concluding part to all the repair work I’ve been carrying out in the bathroom. I still have to repaint a couple of strips on the walls beside the tiles but you won’t need me to show you that (I’ve done enough brush-work on this blog for one year).
It came to an end on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, no less and I took my very first shower in the ‘refurbished’ unit almost 24 hours later. A couple of showers after that and it’s still looking alright.
This post has been coming for too long. I’ve been delaying and postponing in in the hope I’d be able to write it as a conclusion to this DIY project… Right now, it looks as though I’d be doing very well to condense the grand finale in to fourth instalment!
Sometimes, we have to stop trying to be perfectionists. Now, remember that sentence and read on…
This is something I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks now – that is to say, that I started it a fortnight ago and, although I’ve not been working on it solidly or with any kind of routine, the work is still very much in progress.
After creating an agreement with my landlord, I’ve begun to look at the cause of the damp patch that has slowly grown beside the shower in my bathroom and to move forward with the rectification of this problem.