After moving in to a smaller flat last year, I quickly realised that I didn’t have the space for two of my Ikea Ivar shelving units. One was sold locally and, although I managed to squeeze the other in to the bathroom cupboard space, I soon decided that it was excessively deep and warranted downsizing. With that second Ivar unit sold, I had the funds available to purchase something more compact; again from Ikea, I went for the Hejne shelving unit.
I recently made reference to the fact that I spent a weekend working at a friend’s house in early October. This largely involved sanding the wooden floors in two rooms and attending to the near-disastrous state of alcove shelving in the living room (some people should be banned from owning hand saws).
Let’s start by looking at the big job: sanding. Lots of sanding. Then again, downstairs.
Some of you may remember how, earlier this year – before the summer that appears to have come and gone so quickly – I erected a fairly straightforward freestanding, temporary fence to keep my mum’s puppy from wondering off along the shared driveway.
Inevitably, I was asked to do the same again alongside the garden to the rear of the property. This is a job I actually completed in July and, as I sit down to write about it now, I’d like to indicate that I had to make a couple of slight alterations for the same idea to function in its situation.
Living in flat with minimal household facilities, I found myself wanting – and, almost of necessity, needing – to use the top surface of my small fridge/freezer as a horizontal surface to hold and store items.
One problem I’ve always been faced with is that, in being a cold surface, it is the ideal place for warm water to settle and form droplets (even small puddles) as it cools. But, I recently came up with a very simple solution to counteract this and it didn’t involve making mounds of mess.
We’re not even quite halfway in to February and already, I’ve succumbed to what I believe is my fourth visit to Bristol’s Ikea store in as many months!
Not good, is it?
But then, neither is my sleep, which is why I went back…
Over the weekend, I made my most recent trip to Ikea (twenty-four hours after ‘Black Friday’, no less) and obtained a final box of Lots mirror tiles (plus one spare pack, in case of any further breakages).
This post will tie up all the loose ends with regards to how the project came to a close.
At the time of writing this; my landlord has already agreed to replace the rotting timber windows that adorn my ground-floor property. Single-glazing doesn’t help to provide the most comfortable of winter-time temperatures and with the temperatures having plummeted to as low as freezing (and below) in recent weeks; I decided to take a chance upon trying an inexpensive secondary glazing film kit