For most of 2019, I was struggling to adapt to life inside a smaller bedroom and without sacrificing the generous accommodation of my double bed. That change may come in another couple of years, when my memory foam mattress nears the end of its recommended life expectancy (they generally say seven to eight years). When I moved in to my previous flat, I swiftly bought a 4ft high tallboy off Gumtree and those drawers gave me plenty of storage space for clothes. But I’ve struggled to accommodate both this and my poor man’s wardrobe (a clothes hanging rail) in my current place.
My decision was to downsize and, after weeks of online browsing and contemplation, I decided to return to Ikea (yes, I’m using that word again).
It was probably a couple of months ago that I went out and bought myself a new bed frame. Replacing my old one (which was given to me in 2011 and second-hand at the time) is something I’d been thinking about and, while I had aspirations towards making my own frame, I’m still lacking the facilities and space for doing much in the way of woodworking.
Today marks the six-year anniversary of this blog. It’s developed and re-developed quite a bit in that time and I’m grateful to those of you who have been following from the very beginning, along with everyone who has joined more recently. I will always write for as long as you are willing to read. 🙂
So, after constructing the base in two-hours on Friday afternoon; I decided to press on and see how far I could get building the shed itself, before the growl of my stomach became all too consuming and lured me away.
Another month is about to end and I’ve just been able to squeeze in a new YouTube before March comes to a close. I am (slowly) working on a woodworking video that I filmed in my workshop almost two-years ago but I recorded a lot of footage and it’s taking a long time to work through the motions.
This video was originally going to follow the other and yet, with no narration needed and a fairly brief collection of video clips to compose; it was ready for uploading in less than two-hours.
One thing I’ve missed since leaving home is the regularity of roast dinners. I hadn’t honestly given much thought to making my own until I start trying new things in the kitchen this year. So, without actually doing anything thorough research or looking for a recipe, I’ve come up with a meal that’s suitable for a single person and can be easily adapted to suit tastes and preferences.
Furthermore, it comes without black plastic packaging or a need to use a microwave!
This is something I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks now – that is to say, that I started it a fortnight ago and, although I’ve not been working on it solidly or with any kind of routine, the work is still very much in progress.
After creating an agreement with my landlord, I’ve begun to look at the cause of the damp patch that has slowly grown beside the shower in my bathroom and to move forward with the rectification of this problem.
This weekend has started with a somewhat-familiar bout of DIY. But instead of reaching for my dust sheets, paint brush and roller, I’ve been able to break out a few simple woodworking and carpentry tools that’ve slowly begun to gather light rust inside my storage boxes.
I’ll have some more food-related features in the coming days but this evening, I’ve decided to share a walkthrough on how to replace the bulb inside a halogen oven, as there’s a good chance it may help someone else.
In all fairness, the manual for mine (Andrew James 12lt Premium) wasn’t too bad and in case you’re wondering; I believe I bought this back in March, around the time of my birthday and the original bulb has only just ‘blown’ this past weekend, meaning it’s lasted almost 7 months after fair usage (assuming it was new to start with).