This is the subject of my latest YouTube video, which has just been uploaded this evening. There are probably a few other recent uploads that I haven’t announced to all of you directly so, it is always worth manually checking my channel from time to time (and, of course; subscribing makes that even easier!). I seem to have created a situation where I have a stack of video content on my hard drive (a good three or four videos-worth). This is a complete contrast to my situation earlier in the year, where I was struggling to even record the basic content for editing… Now, I can’t seem to keep up with myself! 😉
Truing a bandsaw tyre has often been a popular topic for this blog and it certainly brings its share of traffic my way from some of the usual search engines. I’m aiming to have at least one more tool-relevant video on the way soon but, over the weekend, I hope you bring you footage of a small project (yes, an actual project) that I completed last week. If you’re really lucky, it may even feature my first attempts at narration!
As always, constructive feedback is welcome but I hope you hope you find this one useful and informative at the very least.
Today, I spent about one-third of my time on a solo walk in Somerset, to the east of the Mendip Hills. I’ll write more about that later on this week and I’ll also have to update you on at least two of three projects I managed to complete in the workshop yesterday! They’re only small but the satisfaction in being able to complete so many pieces at once is great!
This evening’s post is merely a brief one to let you know about a little bit of organisation I created in the workshop recently. It all started with this tangle of plugs that have always lashed on to the fence of my pillar drill…
With all that’s gone in recently inside my workshop (reorganisation, etc.), I’ve again found myself up against the challenge of conveniently and safely storing bandsaw blades. When I had my smaller bandsaw, I could happily hang all my blades inside the plywood base cabinet I had made. But, with the Startrite 401e being such a monster and all, sitting that on top of any kind of box construction really isn’t an option. So, I’ve had to hang them elsewhere (for now) on the right-hand end of my mitre saw station:
Having put up a load of spur shelving in recent weeks, I really don’t have the wall space to spare for an alternative solution. That hook is one that I bought as a bulk pack from Toolstation and, as I had a scrap length lying around, I decided to line it with foam pipe insulation or lagging, which should do a good job of protecting the teeth (which are, of course, all pointing inwards!).
It would’ve been nice if I still had some space for a wall-mounted cabinet but, for now, I’ll have to see how this system works… I don’t really envisage ever having more blades than this collection ‘in stock’ at one time so, that shouldn’t be a problem. There is still the threat (albeit, a minor one) that the teeth on this nearside could pose a thread to passers by but, I think of much else to be concerned about beyond that.
Sometimes, in life (and, in fact, in woodwork as well), a little improvisation can go a long way to getting you out of an awkward situation.
Before I moved in to my new place, with most of my stuff either in the new place or in the van, ready to go the next morning, I wanted to check my e-mails and do a bit of surfing to keep up with the goings on in the world of the internet. My problem was that, while I had access to my laptop (and an internet connection, through Wi-Fi), I didn’t have a desk or table to work on. But, what I did have were two bedside drawer units (again, in horrible hidden chipboard, made to look like sapele – a poor man’s mahogany – as well!) and so, I was able to do this:
Not only did the stacked height make for a comfortable working position while standing (I never would’ve been able to get my legs in close enough, had I tried to sit down at one of these) but, by removing the top drawer and reinserting it upside-down, I had a convenient surface on which I could use my mouse, too! All that’s missing is the obligatory cup of tea… 😉
Yes, it’s another one of those days where I’ve sent the last couple of hours scanning the internet for woodworking videos! 🙄 Anyone who follows my Twitter feed or YouTube page will know that I do this about once a week. My thanks, this week, go to 4five1’s blog, which provided me with the initial link for for this goldmine of woodworking information (that bookcase project in itself is also worth watching).
This time, I’d like to share with you a router table design that not only proves they do not need to be complicated or expensive to make; but that, you can easily build something that can easily be stored elsewhere, out of the way, when it’s not required. Though, I haven’t walked in to many workshops over here where you’d be able to accommodate a 48in-long top, though! 😉
I’m sure you could use the same adjustable-leg idea in other situations, such as on a fold-up outfeed table for your table saw.
Tired of turnbuttons? Looking for a new method of fastening a table top securely to a frame while, at the same time, allowing it to happily expand and contract across its width? If so then, you may find the following video interesting, which I found earlier; courtesy of Fine Woodworking magazine:
Sorry, you’ll have to click this link until I can figure out how to embed this one in WordPress…
It’s been almost a month since my last update on this topic so, without further ado, here is a series of finished photographs I took earlier this afternoon. They’ve also been doctored slightly… If you haven’t already noticed, I’ve been doing this regularly with my photos for the last couple of months. The program I’ve been using is Photoscape, which just so happened to be the top result presented by Google when I searched “free photo editing software“! 😉
It may not be Photoshop but, it’s good enough for me.