Since 2012, my collection of Ordnance Survey maps has steadily grown. They’d always lived within an unfashionable cardboard box, before I recently made an alternative solution from 12mm thick birch plywood.
This is a project that I completed in February of this year, although the official start date leaps back to the beginning of 2017, when I ‘sourced’ the materials from the off-cuts pile at the company I used to work for.
Continue reading “Making an OS Map Box”
Looking back through my photos from days out and walks in 2012 last night, I came across these images in a folder labelled King’s Wood. This is an area of woodland near the village of Winscombe; across the A38 from Axbridge and only a stone’s throw from Cheddar, which I blogged about on Sunday night.
It also neighbours Ba Crook Peak, which was one of my favourite solo hikes from last year (albeit, a short one). On a second walk up and beside Kings Wood, following the Strawberry Line from across the A38, I noticed this prominent sign for pedestrians, indicating a return route to the local car park.
Continue reading “Breaking Through My Heart”
Again, I’m nearly one-week behind in updating you on my recent exploits in the workshop! I didn’t really have much left to do on the bathroom box at this point; it was more a case of figuring out how I was going to do a couple of things and then, setting up for each operation.
Continue reading “Lid for the Box”
This weekend, the weather’s been so nice that I couldn’t think of a better way to spend my Saturday afternoon that cutting up a sheet of dust-ridden 18mm MDF on the drive! 😀
Staddons must’ve received their delivery later on Friday afternoon, as they had a sheet ready to cut to size by the time I arrived on Saturday morning. After studying a cutting sheet I’d set out using the components in Google SketchUp, I asked them to crosscut the sheet at 1600mm, leaving <840mm x 1220mm on the other end. I was a bit optimistic when I assumed that this would fit to my small van with ease… It did fit but, the larger half was angled at a position that meant it resting against my head during the short journey back to the workshop! I wish I’d taken a photo! 😉
Continue reading “Router Table Begins!”
Remember those videos I shot of the end-grain cutting boards project a few months ago? Yeah, they went down really well and, what’s more, they seem to be experiencing continual growth on a gradual basis. One was a gift to my mother and the other two of the larger ones still remain unused in one of my kitchen cupboards – I’ve found that the smallest square (not rectangular) size actually suits me very well for sandwich-making and for the buttering of toast.
And then, only two-weeks ago, I noticed this:
Continue reading “A Cracking Discovery…”
While I do believe that my workshop is fairly close to being ‘complete’, as far as having all the right tools and machinery goes, I’m also open to the idea that certain pieces of equipment may need to be upgraded, as your woodworking progress. One can certainly have ‘enough’ tools but, that should never come to mean that he who has all the tools should stop thinking about buying new tools altogether…
Quite recently, I’ve been thinking along the lines of introducing a small edge sander or linisher in to my workshop, as a replacement for the disc sander.
Continue reading “Thinking About Edge Sanders…”
Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):
Continue reading “Making a T&G Gate (Part 2)”
My poor, lonely workshop. I haven’t been able to make much use of it recently, even with the three-day Bank Holiday weekend that’s just passed. Still, in an effort to clear some more excess wood from inside, I have been making some progress on a tongue and groove gate I promised I’d make and fit for my mother, erm, over a year ago… 😳
Continue reading “Making a T&G Gate (Part 1)”