Hacking the Ikea Neiden Bed Frame

While assembling the two Rast chest of drawers that I’d purchased from Ikea, I needed to be able to increase the height of my Neiden bed frame for them to fit underneath.

Here, I’ll be sharing what and how I did that.

Continue reading “Hacking the Ikea Neiden Bed Frame”

Ikea Rast Assembly (Chest of Drawers)

For most of 2019, I was struggling to adapt to life inside a smaller bedroom and without sacrificing the generous accommodation of my double bed. That change may come in another couple of years, when my memory foam mattress nears the end of its recommended life expectancy (they generally say seven to eight years). When I moved in to my previous flat, I swiftly bought a 4ft high tallboy off Gumtree and those drawers gave me plenty of storage space for clothes. But I’ve struggled to accommodate both this and my poor man’s wardrobe (a clothes hanging rail) in my current place.

My decision was to downsize and, after weeks of online browsing and contemplation, I decided to return to Ikea (yes, I’m using that word again).

Continue reading “Ikea Rast Assembly (Chest of Drawers)”

Ikea Neiden Bed Assembly

It was probably a couple of months ago that I went out and bought myself a new bed frame. Replacing my old one (which was given to me in 2011 and second-hand at the time) is something I’d been thinking about and, while I had aspirations towards making my own frame, I’m still lacking the facilities and space for doing much in the way of woodworking.

So, it was with another trip to Ikea that I would come away with the Neiden double bed frame.

Continue reading “Ikea Neiden Bed Assembly”

Workbench Recap

Back in the Summer of 2009, I built ‘my own’ workbench from British beech and briefly documented the build process on my previous blog, over on the UKworkshop site. Sadly, this function of the site is no longer available, even to viewers – which is a shame, as I used to see a fair amount of traffic coming through to this blog from there… 😉 For the not-too-distant future, I’m considering a couple more upgrades for my ‘bench, which would basically involve splitting the top in two (so that I could centralise the tool well) and fit a wagon vice on one end; all as detailed in the brand-new issue of British Woodworking magazine. For a preview on that article, if you haven’t seen this issue, take a look at Nick Gibbs’ blog. In the mean time, I thought I’d keep you entertained with a second look (for some) of how it all went together. Of course, for those of you who haven’t seen this ‘bench before, I hope there’s something you can take away from it all.

It all started when I flattened my car following a routine trip to Interesting Timbers

Continue reading “Workbench Recap”