I’ve been Keeking a lot lately about a project I started. It was something that I initially wanted to remain as ‘secret’ until a big unveiling with a YouTube video; laminating layer after layer of American lime from my offcuts stash, as the odd follower made their guess or suggestion as to what it might be. Two people were very close and in fact, it you were to halve each of their answers (bandsaw box and a turned bowl) and to bring two of those halves together, you would’ve come to the correct conclusion of a Bandsaw Bowl.
It was all going so well until I mounted it on a circle cutting jig last night. Now, this beech lump o’ lime looks like to find a space in one of my stocked up bags of firewood, ready for collection by someone… From somewhere.
I’m writing this post to ask whether anyone reading this can guess what I might be making?
It’s a way to use up my collection of American lime (basswood) offcuts (although, that has little relevance). I’m stack-laminating them in such a way because I do not have anything as substantial available as a stock size. I think I’ve added two more layers since taking this photo but the height or depth is not critical.
Obviously, once I’ve finished laminating, I’m going to have to cut it in some way, if you notice all the overhang…
Thank you for reading. I look forward to reading your suggestions! 😉
Another tip from “the mind of Maskery” for you, today! 😉
These cheap (<£6) vacuum bags; designed for the compressed storage of clothes and other compactable household items; provide an affordable alternative to producing laminated pieces and veneered panels, for those of us without the funds spare to splash on an AirPress kit, for example. This tip was originally featured in one of Steve’s [dubbed “The Jig” in the current issue] many British Woodworking articles, a few months ago, where he used such a bag as a ‘press’ to veneer some MDF panels.
Up until the sharp drop in temperatures around here recently, I was discreetly working away on a new table for my Axminster ED16B pillar drill. It’s surprising how long it had taken to get to the stage you can see in the first photo, below… Working only two-days each week due to work and other commitments, I reckon it took the best part of three-weeks to get this far – and, I’ve still got some work to do on the fence!
Step inside and I’ll show you some of the main features of this design so far, while also explaining my reasoning behind them.
In part one, you saw how the box was constructed and the ‘minor‘ flaw, which effected the outcome on a larger scale. Now, I’d like to take a look at creating the veneered panels, assembling the box and finishing.
I don’t think I ever got around to showing you any finished photographs of my curved oak cabinet before it went in to the Furnish exhibition, the other week. As a measure of how far my skills and ambitions have progressed in the last two-years, I’ve set it up alongside the ‘apprentice piece‘ sycamore cabinet that we were all required to make at the end of year one (2007-08).
Back on the curved-front cabinet, I’m now focusing my attention on cracking that elusive curved door, with the raised and fielded panel. While it may appear almost impossible at first glance, I have figured out a way of doing it (with a little help from UKW! ;-)) that should work rather well. Trouble is, all this jig-making is very time-consuming and the cost of such a small subject appears to be escalating…
Despite the fact that I’ve again left you in the dark for the past month where progress on my chair is concerned [sorry!], my working pace feels like it has made a sharp shift in to second gear and things as things are really starting to move along now.