At work today, I spent a lot of time thinking about how I haven’t done a video for over one month now; how much I want to make the most of what time I have left in my workshop; how I need to crack on and finish the mobile base I started for my table saw, weeks ago… All whilst banging nail after nail in to small sheets of wavy birch plywood!
So, I was home by 17.00 and, after briefly stopping in the bathroom, I grabbed my camera and headed straight out to the workshop! Evenings have been almost mild this week (even though forecasters are now forewarning the threat of snow to follow this weekend – just when we were opening our arms to welcome the spring!). In two hours, I managed to get the following filmed and also, I made some good progress on the mobile base, which I’ll share with you another time.
This is something that I originally intended to film and publish about a month ago during Get Woodworking Week… I also have a ‘Valentine’s Gift’ idea that I’d like to film at some point but, it looks like I’m going to sail straight past Mother’s Day with that one as well! This video’s all about cutting a tee-halving joint, which is a traditional form of lap-joint, between two pieces at 90°.
I hope you enjoy the video. I’m incredibly nervous and fast-talking infront of the camera but I welcome all and any comments people may have. It takes a good hour for me to upload a video of this length and I do now try to keep them brief… That also means compromising a little on the finished quality but then, I’m only using Windows Movie Maker, which is a free program.
If I was to use something paid-for (like Camtasia), would I able to experience faster upload speeds?
Ideally, I’d like to have one short video to upload once each week. In fact, from the video I’m sharing with you this evening, I could easily have cut a section from the end and published that under its own heading.
If I’m going to have to clear out my workshop at some point this year then, I’m going to need to ensure that all of my machines can be moved easily, even if they only end up going in to the back of someone else’s car or van. Most of my machinery is already catered for in that respect. My mortiser will need looking at (that’s got to be close to 200kg in weight) but first, I’m turning my attention to the Scheppach TKU Site Saw I was given a few months ago.
As soon as we slid (and scraped) it inside the door, I wanted to come up with a design for a mobile base that would allow me to easily lock it in position for cutting. I struggled on my own and so, have procrastinated until now. It’s thanks to a YouTube video (which you can watch below) that I’ve found my inspiration for this one.
After another two-hours in the workshop last night and, after sitting down to type this post after a long day at work, I find myself coming to the realisation that blogging is more enjoyable when it’s more ‘impulsive’ like this and almost bite-sized (compared to my usual posts). I plan to much and stress about getting each post perfect, a lot of time. That’s not really what blogging should be about (I’ve been here before but, with a lack of workshop activity – I think – I lost my way again).
Last night, I looked long and hard at the fold-out leg frames and how I would joint and assemble them…
Last week, I officially moved in to my new home [away from the workshop!] – and that’s no April Fools joke! All this moving around and finishing off all the niggling jobs around the house that weren’t completed have left me with the bare minimal of time to spend back at my ‘real‘ home, in the workshop. Before all this chaos started though, I did at least manage to knock together a simple storage rack for sheet materials, with a few spare hours spread out across one weekend. Yes, the workshop improvements are very much still on-going!