Did I tell you I was moving home?! That happened about five-weeks ago, but it’s not the sole reason for my absence. That is related to the area and situation I now live in, where I’ve had to wait for the installation (today) of my new broadband setup.
My faithful mobile broadbanddongle of old shall now be resigned to a dusty drawer somewhere, as it is both unreliable and now redundant in this area where I’m surrounded by other buildings, trees and hills to the north.
With a three-day Bank Holiday weekend already underway, I’m hoping to have this desk very close to completion by Monday night. I made it back in to the workshop yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, after two-days of thought and reflection. As it turned out, un-jamming the belt sander wasn’t too difficult. I started by trying to remove the outer casing, before realising that it wasn’t going to budge. Turning it over again, I realised that you can remove a black plate from one side that exposes the rollers. Then, the front roller just slides out (don’t lose the spring!) and everything was freed with absolute ease.
By the way, yes, ‘un-jamming’ is in fact the technical term for this! 🙂
After another two-hours in the workshop last night and, after sitting down to type this post after a long day at work, I find myself coming to the realisation that blogging is more enjoyable when it’s more ‘impulsive’ like this and almost bite-sized (compared to my usual posts). I plan to much and stress about getting each post perfect, a lot of time. That’s not really what blogging should be about (I’ve been here before but, with a lack of workshop activity – I think – I lost my way again).
Last night, I looked long and hard at the fold-out leg frames and how I would joint and assemble them…
I’ve probably said this before but, it really never seizes to amaze me just how long even a ‘simple’ pine project can take to make! You visualise all the basic things but, in spite of the training I’ve had in making furniture, I easily forget some of the necessary practices – like sanding to remove machining marks. I do sometimes wish I had a drum sander to simply send boards through as I seem to be going through 120g 4in wide sanding belts at an alarming rate. Pine is sticky stuff with all the resins and that doesn’t help. Really, I should be looking to use 80g for all the donkey work (that would explain why I haven’t so many 80g belts left but, I’m now down to my final 120g belt in the box…).
Plenty has been going over the weekend and, if I were to update it all in this single post, you’d still be reading it by the time I leave for work tomorrow morning (once I’d finished writing it!). So, in this post, I’ll just update you on Saturday’s events, with Sunday’s efforts to follow tomorrow (I’m secretly hoping to have this finished-or-very-close by next weekend…!).
It’s been a while since I’ve been able to say that I was out in the workshop last night until darkness fell and, that’s one of the small things I missed most while I was living away from home. Last night, I was out there until 21.30, making early progress on the folding laptop desk I’ve been wanting to build for a while now.
You see, I’ve spent the past two weeks (since moving back home) using my laptop in such a manner. It’s far from comfortable and, not matter how I sit, resting in one position on the floor for too long leaves me with either a dead leg or pins and needles!
Sometimes, in life (and, in fact, in woodwork as well), a little improvisation can go a long way to getting you out of an awkward situation.
Before I moved in to my new place, with most of my stuff either in the new place or in the van, ready to go the next morning, I wanted to check my e-mails and do a bit of surfing to keep up with the goings on in the world of the internet. My problem was that, while I had access to my laptop (and an internet connection, through Wi-Fi), I didn’t have a desk or table to work on. But, what I did have were two bedside drawer units (again, in horrible hidden chipboard, made to look like sapele – a poor man’s mahogany – as well!) and so, I was able to do this:
Not only did the stacked height make for a comfortable working position while standing (I never would’ve been able to get my legs in close enough, had I tried to sit down at one of these) but, by removing the top drawer and reinserting it upside-down, I had a convenient surface on which I could use my mouse, too! All that’s missing is the obligatory cup of tea… 😉