Continuing on from the previous post where we looked at my recently-acquired map holder; this week, I’ve gone and bought my self a cleaning kit for my hydration bladder.
Just when I thought it was safe to stow away my claw hammer; the gale-force winds returned and I found myself faced with another fence panel repair and post to replace. I guess I forgot to knock on wood. It’s ironic that the lighting bolt would strike the same spot again, mere weeks after assuring myself that my time as a fence panel-repairer was over.
My latest YouTube video offers a couple of simple tips on using and maintaining your dust extractors that could help to maintain and restore your airflow. If you’ve suffered a loss of or drop in suction from either a twin-bag HVLP chip collector or, perhaps even a smaller HPLV vacuum-type; these tricks could really help you out.
One tip near the beginning offers an easier way to reattach the bottom bag without a second pair of hands. Also, you get to see how convenient it isn’t to access each of my extractors in a small workshop! 😉
Thank you and enjoy. 🙂
This is actually a subject I discuss briefly at the introduction to my latest YouTube video. It’s fair to say that you will quickly come to learn how I feel about painting and why it took me five-months to complete the laminated capping rail for our T&G gate… Oddly enough, I’ve spent the afternoon undercoating my hands a glossy white as we’ve been partitioning off a new section of the shop floor ready for the installation of two new metal cutting machines (it has been nice to be able to put of some stud walls and drill holes in the concrete floor, even if I’m not too satisfied with some of the gaps around my own joints, mostly cut on the bandsaw as well…).
We moved in to our current house back in 2004, not long after Christmas and, within days of moving in (in fact, it might have been the day itself), a now-ex-neighbour pointed out that flakes of white paint were
ing off from under the eaves at the front of the house, surrounding the large bay window. It’s a project that’s been on my mind for so long. It’d been glaring at me each day I arrived home. Even when I lived elsewhere, it became unmissable, with each and every family visit. I don’t know what possessed me but I finally got up there to tackle it, last weekend.
With a long weekend and clear skies forecast, I decided I would use this time to try and replace the fence panels that blew down sometime in, erm… February! That’s without mentioning the two fence posts that had each rotted away at ground level. It had seemed like a monstrous job; the kind that I detest, with my general hatred towards pathetic fence panel construction. Each morning I’ve driven to work, each evening I’ve come home; that gaping view on to the neighbour’s weathered decking had been haunting me for far too long. I was tired of tripping over the old panel remains just outside the workshop door. Something had to be done!
Today is May the 4th and, just reading that aloud, you can imagine some of the Star Wars-related jokes that often occur around this time each year. Now, the 1st of May for this year was known as Woodworking Safety Day. It’s very similar to the Safety Week we’ve had for the last few years. I can’t remember whether I even wrote a blog post for this in 2012 but this year, I knew that I wanted to make a video that was perhaps a little different to what the average woodworking enthusiast might be planning.
I wouldn’t like to claim that my video or its content is an entirely original concept but I chose to focus on the sliding compound mitre saw. This video also covers a couple of common maintenance questions for the Makita LS1013 that frequently brings traffic to this blog. I am my usually nervous, anxious self for the most part but I end this 23-minute film with two short tales of personal experiences where my health and/or safety has been compromised…
As always, comments and feedback are always welcome. Before I end this post, I’d like to share with you an interesting video I found on improving a mitre saw purchased at the lower-end of the market…
After work today, I spent a couple of hours planing up all the boards and then looking at arranging them and gluing them together in to ‘layers’ that’ll then be sliced up in to shorter blocks and then assembled to created the complete boards.
It does look as though the main cause of the rot that spread throughout our bathroom floor came from the toilet cistern, which is boxed in and seemed to be forever sweating litres upon gallons of water. After fitting the new floor, we lifted the lid to find condensation was still running and forming around the outside. Insulation is a popular solution to this, with the internet throwing up the suggest to lag around the inside with either an old gym or exercise mat or, good old expanding foam.
All along, I’ve felt as though ventilation (drilling a hole through the exterior wall and fitting a vent) would fix this. My dad’s solution was to throw a towel over the cistern and to ‘insulate’ it that way… Although the situation eased at first, it didn’t go away.