So, I’ve been asked about fitting some kind of gate to fit on my mother’s decking. Naturally, whenever I’m asked about making something, the first question I ask myself is, ‘is this something I could make?‘.
It needs to be fairly lightweight as it’ll straddle a 1710mm gap between two newell posts, which are never going to be set like a pair of anchors. ‘Cheap’ is the word that, as often, if floating around as the main cause for these gates (it’ll have to be a double with that span) is to keep the dog from running off.
All I’ve heard on the radio for the past two days has been an endless string of adverts for all the post-Christmas bargains to be had on the high street and online. I’m always sceptical but one thing I’m certain of is that I do not need a brand-new TV with all the latest add-ons and features! Yesterday, I braved the wind, rain and hailstones to pick up a bargain of my own, which I spotted through a local Gumtree ad.
After six-weeks of living out of black bags, I’m finally able to say that I have acquired a chest of drawers for my bedroom!
Work on my mum’s bathroom floor began late on Saturday morning. I was waiting longer than expected for my dad to arrive with the necessary materials that would never fit inside my own van. Plus, he has all the plumbing tools that I do not. I think the best way to start this one of would be to show you the state of the floor, once we’d removed, boxed and binned the majority of the tiles and timber…
…Now that you’re eyes have returned to their sockets; I hope you’re able to see that each of the joists was rotten; far worse than I’d expected! The guy who did the boiler took a quick peak and told us as much a day earlier. I was sceptical and didn’t honestly look closely enough during my own inspection. That joist one in from the external wall (with the soil pipe) disintegrated under the weight of my father’s feet as he wrestled to free the toilet from its holding.
A lot has happened (around the home) over the weekend and I’ve barely had the time to catch up on my e-mails, let alone think about what I want to do, next time I’m in the workshop!
So, I’ll keep this first post brief; simply to inform you that I arrived home on Friday afternoon to find the combi. boiler running on with heat coming from each of the radiators. Beneath it, the bowl was dry and empty. There was no drip to be heard or found. Somehow, the house even felt warmer and the boiler itself sounded more relaxed than before. I haven’t yet noticed it lighting up while the heating is off either.
This was the part I found in a box below; the one which was replaced. I assume it’s something to do with the pressure feed, as the pressure was dropping dramatically before (hence the water loss)… Apparently, there was an inferior plastic part inside which had broken and has now been replaced with a brass fitting (cost-saving measures at the manufacturing stage, I assume).
So, that’s been one less item to worry about, regardless of the expense (that part was far from cheap…). In the next day or so, I’ll show you the progress we made on the bathroom floor (unless you’re already seen it through my Twitter feed?).
(Although I’ve categorised this under ‘DIY’, it is certainly NOT something I attempted myself!)
Just as I was getting dressed and ready to leave the house for work this morning, there was a knock on my bedroom door. Mum was eager to tell me that anotherfence panel had blown down overnight; narrowly missing her car and lying obtrusively on the drive. It wasn’t the panel I ‘repaired’ over the weekend – as I said then; that one’s never going to come out!! This one is as tall as it is wide.
These photos were taken in the daylight, after I arrived home from work a couple of hours ago, using my phone as well (8 megapixels, apparently… Although, I rarely bother to preset the white balance). All I did in the darkness was to pick up all the loose stuff and to dump it infront of the workshop.
Have I ever told you how much I hate the traditional style of fence panel? If not then, I’ll try not to drone on too much today. Let’s just that I’m ‘not a fan’ of the ‘cost-effective‘ design, where you’re over-relying a few nails and staples to hold a load of thin boards and stick-like battens together.
In my experience, the very first happens during the drier summer months, when this timber (a softwood) is allowed to rapidly expel the moisture it has gathered, causing its form to take all manner of shapes, along with a few splits, cracks and shakes. That’s all without mentioning the threat of wet rot, rising damp and, perhaps one of my biggest bugbears with ‘solid’ fence panelling; the wind effect.
Winter often seems to bring an welcome measure of wet weather to the UK and this season so far has been no exception. We had dry days in the autumn but the summer was a near-complete washout. All this rain adds moisture to the air and this can wreak havoc with any timber features of our homes and the need for them to function smoothly.
Doors and windows mostly but, today, I want to focus on the tongue and groove gate I made in 2011.
First, I hope that you all had a lovely day yesterday and that you also have plans for the rest of the week.
Somehow, in my last post, I managed to bypass the topic of DIY and home repairs. Mum is looking to sell her house in 2013 but, there is a lot of work that needs to be done before she could confidently place it on the market. It’s certainly a subject that could find a space on this blog so, I’m going to start by focusing on what needs doing in the bathroom. All comments, thoughts and suggestions will be welcomed.