Another month is about to end and I’ve just been able to squeeze in a new YouTube before March comes to a close. I am (slowly) working on a woodworking video that I filmed in my workshop almost two-years ago but I recorded a lot of footage and it’s taking a long time to work through the motions.
This video was originally going to follow the other and yet, with no narration needed and a fairly brief collection of video clips to compose; it was ready for uploading in less than two-hours.
While on Friday I set about correcting the sagging wall unit in my kitchen, Saturday morning was partially spent filling a couple of large holes between cabinets. When I say ‘holes’, I’m actually referring to the vacant spaces that can sometimes be found between wall cabinets. Personally, if I was designing a kitchen, I’d try to exclude them, even where the can be used to run services (pipes an wires).
In my experience, they’re a trap for cobwebs and a flue for downwards draughts that aren’t welcome in winter. That’s why I decided to look at enclosing them.
This is going to be one of those ‘informative’ kind of posts… I was actually intending to write about something else I made and added to the workshop recently but I appear to be missing some of the in-progress photos of that and, if I did take them then, they must still be on the SD card which is sat out in the workshop right now!
So, this evening’s post concerns some minor modifications I’ve made to the ‘mobility’ of both my table saw’s mobile base and the router table I made back in August.
After one week of waiting for finished photos, here they are!
It’s about as finished as it’s going to be for the moment, as I hope to move on to some other pressing projects fairly soon. It’s also worth noting that I’ve since replaced all the wing nuts you can see with home-made wooden knobs (M6 nuts embedded in to their inner faces).
With the lippings attached and flushed off with a combination of router and belt sander, I was ready to start doing further work to the top as Saturday came.
What I needed to do next was to creating a recess for the aluminium insert plate and an opening for the router to fit in to. This may look like something that’s difficult to achieve but, I aim to show you a method I like that’s easy and very effective in providing you with a neat end result.
Last weekend’s time in the workshop felt very similar to the weekend before, where I basically made a table enclosure, in to which a chest freezer could be tucked safely away. This time though, it was all about preparing myself for another workshop project that’s just over the horizon – for which, I’ll need to safely support and cut down some sheets of 18mm plywood…
It all started with with these scraps of ex. 7x2in treated pine; left overs from the ceiling joists I installed earlier this year. And, just like the Saturday before, most of my time was spent cutting notches out on my sliding compound mitre saw.
Last week, I officially moved in to my new home [away from the workshop!] – and that’s no April Fools joke! All this moving around and finishing off all the niggling jobs around the house that weren’t completed have left me with the bare minimal of time to spend back at my ‘real‘ home, in the workshop. Before all this chaos started though, I did at least manage to knock together a simple storage rack for sheet materials, with a few spare hours spread out across one weekend. Yes, the workshop improvements are very much still on-going!
Up until the sharp drop in temperatures around here recently, I was discreetly working away on a new table for my Axminster ED16B pillar drill. It’s surprising how long it had taken to get to the stage you can see in the first photo, below… Working only two-days each week due to work and other commitments, I reckon it took the best part of three-weeks to get this far – and, I’ve still got some work to do on the fence!
Step inside and I’ll show you some of the main features of this design so far, while also explaining my reasoning behind them.