Earlier today, I uploaded a brand-new video to YouTube, which happens to be my first for about a month. I’ll probably go in to that one a little deeper in a separate blog post next week but it bears some relevance to this post where I’m going to be looking at mitres and tackling the seemingly-simple question of how to fit a length stop for repeat or batch cutting of identical lengths.
This video was uploaded very late on Saturday night. It might even have been close to midnight, as I remember waking up on the end of my bed (I must have fallen asleep prematurely) at 1.15am, to discover that I’d already received 3 likes and my first comment on YouTube! I’ve taken a lot of positives from this one since, as I’m almost now up to 20 Likes for this one video, while still under 200 views in total.
As I say in the beginning; it was my first attempt at a narration and clearly, it works very well. I was actually hoping that I could’ve cut the footage down to around 8 minutes for this but I’m satisfied with 11.30 and, according to the statistics and comments; so are the majority of the viewers so far.
Tomorrow night, I’m hoping to upload the jig-making add-on to this, where I show you how I made the jig for my mitre saw. Then, over the weekend, I’m aiming to have another small project for you to view.
Enjoy and thank you!
You may have already guessed by now that I didn’t get much done on the router table last weekend. Actually, I barely spent any time in the workshop at all. I find it hard to go in there sometimes… Not just because I live further away now but, when working with wood and power tools for four-and-a-half days a week, I often feel as though I’d like to be doing something different on a weekend. I guess that workshops are a lot like relationships and women in that respect… Every now and again, we need a little time apart from one another! 😛
This afternoon and, with the up-and-over door wide open, I braved the unbearable heat(!) of my small workshop in order to begin working on the top to my new router table. First, I needed to lip all the edges of the MDF sheet with some kind of hardwood.
Looking at the photo above; can you guess which species I used, before clicking below to read on? 🙂
Last weekend’s time in the workshop felt very similar to the weekend before, where I basically made a table enclosure, in to which a chest freezer could be tucked safely away. This time though, it was all about preparing myself for another workshop project that’s just over the horizon – for which, I’ll need to safely support and cut down some sheets of 18mm plywood…
It all started with with these scraps of ex. 7x2in treated pine; left overs from the ceiling joists I installed earlier this year. And, just like the Saturday before, most of my time was spent cutting notches out on my sliding compound mitre saw.
Following on from Part 1, I can now take some time to show the various stages I went through [practically – not personally, you wouldn’t like to see those!! :oops:] to construct the gate. After a half-day at work, I spent a good six-hours on this job. It was a couple of hours longer than I was intending and, as I was unable to ‘complete’ the gate in time, that explains why the gate was left in the following state overnight (as you saw at the end of the first instalment):
If not for the difficulties I’ve had in trying to upload this video (coupled with the time I’ve spent agonising over a SketchUp drawing for a future magazine article) then, I’ve have had this second instalment online for you much sooner!
It looks as though this is going to become another three-part series after all. I’ve tried hard to trim this second episode down as much as possible but, I feel I’ve got a lot of useful content in there. I start by turning the square post in to an octagonal section (picking up from where Part 1 left off) and getting everything ready for the finishing stage, which will come in Part 3, along with the assembly.
Sorry that you’ve had to wait so long for this. Hope that it’s been worth it, though!
I’d also like to thank Joe Abbott for pointing me in the direction of Windows Live Writer, which is compatible with any blogging software and is free to download. It’s dead easy to use and allows me to blog in ‘visual editor mode’ where WordPress appears to have started playing up for me of late (thanks again, Joe! ).
Thanks for viewing.
On Monday, I finished building the fence for my new-look mitre saw station…
On Thursday, I took delivery of two exciting new arrivals in my workshop! For the last eighteen-months, I’ve been considering an upgrade from my 12in. SIP bandsaw to something much bigger. Also, having recently sold my Bosch 12in. sliding mitre saw on eBay (it took a few months!!), I’ve now got a smaller, 10in. saw that I reckon I’ll be much happier with.