Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.
When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳
…Well, sort of! While I have been able to sit here typing and idly surfing the ‘net for as much as I would’ve liked over the past month, I have just about completed reorganising my workshop, which is only minutes away from my new home. It all started a few weeks ago, when I listed a tall shelving unit on eBay – and then, it sold, for £16! 😎
This left a pleasantly large void in front of the rear window but, don’t fret; I already had plans for what I was going to do with this space…
Yesterday, I made a start on my side table and I’m still aiming to have this one complete by the end of the month. If you want any more detail on the build, I’ve started a thread on an all-new UK woodworking forum – The Wood Haven. I decided I would start by shaping the legs on my router table which, to me, makes cutting the mortises much easier. I’ve seen some pretty horrific accidents in my time on UKworkshop so, I’m always wary of performing “dangerous” operations like this – especially when your trimming cutter has 55mm of sharp blades! That’s why I made a simple modification to my leg templates, which should keep both hands and all my digits out of harm’s way: