When I first started woodworking at home, back in the summer of 2005, the very first piece I made was a simple ‘Craftsman-style‘ wall shelf in pine (Scandinavian, joinery-grade redwood). I took the plans directly from a book [The World’s Best Storage and Shelving Projects] and modified various dimensions in order for the unit to accommodate my stash of DVDs. Despite its garish appearance with the tung oil finish and the crudeness of some of the joints I used (particularly the beech dowels used to peg the shelves), this wall shelf made the move with me to my new home at the end of March this year. All in spite of the fact that, with a total capacity for forty-eight DVDs on each of the two lower shelves, it wasn’t long after the completion date that my DVD collection had over-grown [thanks, Play.com and CD-WOW!!] and I was having to stack cases on top of the unit to try and keep things ‘organised’!
It’s taken me almost six-years to make this decision but, I’ve decided now that the time is right to build a new wall shelf with increased capacity!
Back in the Summer of 2009, I built ‘my own’ workbench from British beech and briefly documented the build process on my previous blog, over on the UKworkshop site. Sadly, this function of the site is no longer available, even to viewers – which is a shame, as I used to see a fair amount of traffic coming through to this blog from there… 😉 For the not-too-distant future, I’m considering a couple more upgrades for my ‘bench, which would basically involve splitting the top in two (so that I could centralise the tool well) and fit a wagon vice on one end; all as detailed in the brand-new issue of British Woodworking magazine. For a preview on that article, if you haven’t seen this issue, take a look at Nick Gibbs’ blog. In the mean time, I thought I’d keep you entertained with a second look (for some) of how it all went together. Of course, for those of you who haven’t seen this ‘bench before, I hope there’s something you can take away from it all.
A couple of weeks back, I forewarned you of the dangers of leaving your workshop contents ‘un-prepared‘ for fluctuations in the British weather during the winter (see here). While cast iron can be cleaned of rust and protected again with relative ease, I also showed you an image of the drawers below my workbench; two of which had found themselves in a partially-open state and were refusing to budge. Yesterday, I decided to do something about this…