With the lippings attached and flushed off with a combination of router and belt sander, I was ready to start doing further work to the top as Saturday came.
What I needed to do next was to creating a recess for the aluminium insert plate and an opening for the router to fit in to. This may look like something that’s difficult to achieve but, I aim to show you a method I like that’s easy and very effective in providing you with a neat end result.
This photo shows the top surface of an Arts and Crafts-style TV stand that I designed and made back in 2008 (it was also published in British Woodworking magazine in June of that year). I’ve just bought myself a new flat-screen TV (belated birthday present) to replace the big, old bulky one I had before. If you look closely, you’ll be able to see where heat emissions from the old ‘picture box’ fought their way through the Danish oil finish (three coats, as I remember it) to create this ‘stained’ effect. Maybe ‘tainting‘ of the finish is a better term?
Just thought it may be of interest. Perhaps oil finishes aren’t the best for this type of furniture?
But, they’re so easy to apply…
It shouldn’t be an issue with my new TV though, as that sits on its own stand – if you want to see what I bought, see this post on my other blog.
It’s been about a week since I filmed but, the final episode in my three-part cutting board series is finally online and ready for viewing:
I’ve taken on board some advice from Stu recently, with regards to the transitions between scenes, if nothing more at the moment. As I’ve said before; it’s all a big experiment for me. I am very aware that you can barely hear my voice towards the end of the video and, again referring to Stu’s comments, I’ll probably look at tinkering with voice-overs in future (at least, until I can a decent video camera with an input jack for a microphone – though, I’m sure the purchase of a 16-32 drum sander would push that one even further back down the list!!).
I hope you enjoy this final instalment and, if you’ve learned something new along the way then, I’m happy as well! 🙂 I am hoping to capture a couple of other short projects in video form throughout the summer [summer?!?] so, I hope you’ll also subscribe and keep checking back here for future updates.
Sorry that the gap between each post appears to be growing at the moment. I’m working a lot at the moment just to keep my head above the water and, where I haven’t got as much time as I’d like to be able to spend in my own workshop, I’ve discovered that the art of basic video editing can easily consume a lot of spare ‘workshop-time’!
On and off for the past week, I’ve been discreetly working away on a small cabinet made from regular English oak and brown oak, with a curved front. That means both the drawer front and door will also have to be curved – not something I’ve done before! While I feel I’ve made very good progress already, I’m once again frustrated with myself for making a couple of basic errors.