I managed to spend the previous weekend without taking a single step in to the workshop and yet, I’m still behind on updating you with the little goings-on that I have been progressing with in there. I’ve found it hard to even find the time to keep my client up-to-date with details for the chopping boards I’m planning to make soon and I’m also aware that I’m already behind with my intention of uploading one YouTube video on a weekly basis… I have plenty of short films in the pipeline so, I’m sure I can catch up before too long. 😉
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Monday morning started off surprisingly well this week when I arrived at my workshop to find a small package waiting for me, containing a brand-new, bespoke depth stop for my Axminster ED16B pillar drill, courtesy of a good friend from the forums at The Wood Haven.
…Well, sort of! While I have been able to sit here typing and idly surfing the ‘net for as much as I would’ve liked over the past month, I have just about completed reorganising my workshop, which is only minutes away from my new home. It all started a few weeks ago, when I listed a tall shelving unit on eBay – and then, it sold, for £16! 😎
This left a pleasantly large void in front of the rear window but, don’t fret; I already had plans for what I was going to do with this space…
January is often seen as a good time of year to grab a bargain on, well, anything – but, here, I’m talking about woodworking tools, of course! Well, not exactly spinning circular saws or routers but the recent seasonal discounts offered by Axminster and Rutlands have allowed me to stock up on a few essential purchases, in addition to the brand-new Bench Cookies I recently added. These aren’t all intended to be used solely in the workshop; several items have been purchased with scribing and on-site fitting in mind and for general carpentry jobs that could become the ‘bread and butter‘ of my future furniture making business.
It all started with this set of Stabila spirit levels…
Up until the sharp drop in temperatures around here recently, I was discreetly working away on a new table for my Axminster ED16B pillar drill. It’s surprising how long it had taken to get to the stage you can see in the first photo, below… Working only two-days each week due to work and other commitments, I reckon it took the best part of three-weeks to get this far – and, I’ve still got some work to do on the fence!
Step inside and I’ll show you some of the main features of this design so far, while also explaining my reasoning behind them.
Along with rare earth magnets (as detailed in my previous post), I’m also beginning to realise that springs (particularly the compression-type) also have a place in the woodworking workshop.
Above, I’ve fitted a 75mm long compression spring between the two M16 nuts on the depth stop for my recently-purchased ED16B pillar drill. I’m sure I made it clear before that I was a little disappointed with this arrangement when I first purchased the machine. Finger-tight pressure between the two nuts was not enough when running the drill on one of the higher speeds – they always vibrate loose so, you have to use a spanner (or, preferably, two). But, with this spring (and a couple of M16 washers) now in place, that’s all in the past. Now, I can easily set the drilling depth without having to reach for a tool – my thanks go to Mike Garnham for this solution.
Over the weekend, I got my new pillar drill all cleaned up and ready to run. With the help of “some old man“, I was also able to get it in to position on its new stand – it’s only 2in shorter than my previous drill but, it just seems like a lot more…
Although I haven’t yet had a chance to put it through its paces yet, I think it would be good at this time to take a closer look at many of this drill’s features and see how it compares and, hopefully, improves on the offerings of my former Clarke CDP201B.
(You see it now – it really is too tall for your average 900mm bench!)