It was probably a couple of months ago that I went out and bought myself a new bed frame. Replacing my old one (which was given to me in 2011 and second-hand at the time) is something I’d been thinking about and, while I had aspirations towards making my own frame, I’m still lacking the facilities and space for doing much in the way of woodworking.
Some of you might remember seen the ‘rustic’ wooden box I made back in July. I think it’s an item that was showcased on the social networks more so than right here on this blog but I’m writing now to let you know that a video of the process is now available to watch on YouTube.
It was a simple project and I’m pleased with how well it’s been received in the past week. What’s more, my subscriber total has now passed 1,500 and is fast on its way to 1,600! There has always been a temptation to create common ‘how-to‘ videos and projects that anyone can make but what I enjoy doing is to show you how I’ve made something; to show you how I operate within my own workshop and, if I can, to tell a bit of a story along the way – because these are the things I enjoy most in other people’s videos. I mean, I could make an end-grain cutting board with my eyes closed!! 😉
Thank you, everyone!! 🙂
Even though I scrapped the van for which this was built before Christmas, this is a box that has a home in the boot of my estate car.
Some of you may recall the making of my workbench back in 2009. It wasn’t until several months later that I decided to make a plywood unit beneath to house three wide drawers for the storage of hand tools and other pieces. In truth, I was never entirely happy with the setup and, each winter, the drawer sides and fronts would swell and it would be an effort to get to the tools I wanted to use. Over time, this has led to the ‘collapse’ of the previous drawer bases (cheap, distorted 6mm plywood).
A few weeks ago; I took a look at the materials I had available and decided to tackle this issue properly.
I’ve been back in my mum’s house for over a month now but, some of my old habits from living alone still remain with me. For example, my clothes storage ‘system’ leaves a lot to be desired…
‘Worn’ clothes (but, not ‘dirty’ enough to pile in to the washing machine – it must be a man thing!) tend to hang around until I feel they’re ready to be cleaned. I have a set of work clothes that I’ll wear for five-days and, each night, I like to have something comfortable that I can easily change in to without having to sort through my wardrobe and drawers. But, this clothes end up all over the place – on top of the drawers, on the back of my chair and, even though I recently bought in a canvas unit to try and help with the situation, I need something more.
In an effort to get myself in to the workshop, I’ve started brainstorming some ideas on solutions I could make…
Even though I finished the folding desk last week, I’d like to go back briefly in this post and look at a few areas that I haven’t already included. This was partly because I feared that my posts would become too long but actually, it had more to do with the fact that these photos which were ‘cut’ from the final edit were actually taken on my old camera, which leaves images in a different folder to my new camera’s recordings, on the SD card.
With a three-day Bank Holiday weekend already underway, I’m hoping to have this desk very close to completion by Monday night. I made it back in to the workshop yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours, after two-days of thought and reflection. As it turned out, un-jamming the belt sander wasn’t too difficult. I started by trying to remove the outer casing, before realising that it wasn’t going to budge. Turning it over again, I realised that you can remove a black plate from one side that exposes the rollers. Then, the front roller just slides out (don’t lose the spring!) and everything was freed with absolute ease.
By the way, yes, ‘un-jamming’ is in fact the technical term for this! 🙂
Last night’s ninety-minute session in the workshop led to little else but frustration and disappointment. I marched out to the ‘shop, ready to begin the process of flattening the two leg frames -which, as I admitted in the previous post; didn’t go together quite as tight, square and neatly as I had intended.
This process began with a couple of bench planes; resulting in a mountain of shavings on the bench top and a wooden frame featuring torn-out grain in places where I’d cut across the corners to try and save time flattening.