Last week, I officially moved in to my new home [away from the workshop!] – and that’s no April Fools joke! All this moving around and finishing off all the niggling jobs around the house that weren’t completed have left me with the bare minimal of time to spend back at my ‘real‘ home, in the workshop. Before all this chaos started though, I did at least manage to knock together a simple storage rack for sheet materials, with a few spare hours spread out across one weekend. Yes, the workshop improvements are very much still on-going!
Another couple of weeks and I’ll be moving out on my own; a good couple of miles away from my current workshop. That means that any time I intend to spend in this current workshop after the move (while I still have access to it) has got to be spent doing something productive; not wasting time fiddling with the settings on a tool or machine, or trying to reorganise my workshop for the umpteenth time. I know I’ll be needing a few things for my new home and, although it will mostly be made from pine due to costs, I’ll need to be ready to get on with it. That’s why I’m currently working hard to get my workshop in order, now, before the move.
With the suspended floor as good as complete, I’ve turned my attention now to sorting through all the household junk and clutter. I’ve already filled the boot of my car twice in taking stuff to the local recycling centre and, thanks to a large amount of interest from an ad I placed in my local Freecycle group, I promptly found a taker for the 6ft long shelving unit that was hogging lots of space near the door:
Back in the Summer of 2009, I built ‘my own’ workbench from British beech and briefly documented the build process on my previous blog, over on the UKworkshop site. Sadly, this function of the site is no longer available, even to viewers – which is a shame, as I used to see a fair amount of traffic coming through to this blog from there… 😉 For the not-too-distant future, I’m considering a couple more upgrades for my ‘bench, which would basically involve splitting the top in two (so that I could centralise the tool well) and fit a wagon vice on one end; all as detailed in the brand-new issue of British Woodworking magazine. For a preview on that article, if you haven’t seen this issue, take a look at Nick Gibbs’ blog. In the mean time, I thought I’d keep you entertained with a second look (for some) of how it all went together. Of course, for those of you who haven’t seen this ‘bench before, I hope there’s something you can take away from it all.
It all started when I flattened my car following a routine trip to Interesting Timbers…