After moving in to a smaller flat last year, I quickly realised that I didn’t have the space for two of my Ikea Ivar shelving units. One was sold locally and, although I managed to squeeze the other in to the bathroom cupboard space, I soon decided that it was excessively deep and warranted downsizing. With that second Ivar unit sold, I had the funds available to purchase something more compact; again from Ikea, I went for the Hejne shelving unit.
Some of you may remember how, earlier this year – before the summer that appears to have come and gone so quickly – I erected a fairly straightforward freestanding, temporary fence to keep my mum’s puppy from wondering off along the shared driveway.
Inevitably, I was asked to do the same again alongside the garden to the rear of the property. This is a job I actually completed in July and, as I sit down to write about it now, I’d like to indicate that I had to make a couple of slight alterations for the same idea to function in its situation.
Having viewed the potential-workshop a few days ago now, I’ve taken the weekend to step back and decide that I will be going for it – just in case there was ever any doubt! 😉
Things are still yet to be signed, dotted and paid for as I write this but I remain confident regardless. In this post, I’ll be highlighting a few things I’ve since noticed and looking ahead to what will need to be done.
There’s a very good chance that I have found myself a new workshop. Less than two-years after departing the first one alongside my mother’s home.
Some of you may’ve already seen this photo on social media – for those of you who haven’t, I’d just like to say that it is not my photo. But the previous tenant clearly did a bit of woodworking themselves.
At the time of writing this; my landlord has already agreed to replace the rotting timber windows that adorn my ground-floor property. Single-glazing doesn’t help to provide the most comfortable of winter-time temperatures and with the temperatures having plummeted to as low as freezing (and below) in recent weeks; I decided to take a chance upon trying an inexpensive secondary glazing film kit
My current home is one where just about everything (except for the water supply, perhaps) is powered by electricity. There is no gas supply and no oil tank to refill. Calor gas bottles are not even an option. If it doesn’t plug in to a socket or cannot be wired in to a wall then I cannot use it.
Essentially, I live in a property that lacks what is commonly regarded as central heating. In this post, I’ll be sharing my survival techniques.
I’m not a great believer in that the dawn of a new year is the perfect time to make changes. By all means, it’s possible but it too often feels like an excuse. If you’re intent on doing something then, why wait? Don’t delay. What are you really waiting for?
I actually made a decision towards the end of my Christmas break to take out my first DVD subscription with LoveFilm, who now seem to be owned by Amazon. It was a little confusing at first but I’ve since been able to make us of the ‘30-Day Free Trial‘ letters they’ve been sending me lately… (Yes, Amazon still use Snail Mail!)
Having been in this flat now for over 8 months, I can say that I’ve spent the past few feeling as though I’m some kind of ‘live-in maintenance man‘. When something’s broken or has been in need of improvement, I’ve offered to repair or replace it (unless it’s electrical, of course). I quite enjoy a bit of DIY (working to my own rules and at my own pace) so this doesn’t bother me too much. Until recently, I spent several weeks living in a near-building site-like state as I attempted to repair and redecorate the main living room walls.
By far, this has become my proudest achievement in this property to date:
I am no plasterer and I’ve never been keen on painting but a couple of coats of Dulux’s lemon tropics has, for me, transformed the feel of this previously overly-magnolia property.
But today, I’m going to share with you some recent improvements I’ve made in the bathroom.