When I moved to this flat in November 2013, I quickly began to compile a growing list of items that may need attention. Many of these have since been rectified, I am pleased to say. Some of which has been attended to by my own two hands. One area I was unprepared to tackle personally was the repair or replacement of the rotting windows.
Single-glazed and long overdue a fresh coat of paint, to say the very least… Well, it was just over a year ago that my landlord (without any prompting from me, whatsoever) signalled an intention to replace all three windows, as they were beyond the best. This week, I’m pleased to be able to write that the have finally been removed.
I must’ve received this clock (as a gift) somewhere between the ages of sixteen and eighteen, when I was very much in to the Surrealist art movement, using it as the focus for much of my A-Level Art work.
To say I appreciate this clock is an understatement. I’ve never (knowingly) met anyone else who owns one and the majority of visitors will comment on it. But it stopped running correctly a few years and, in spite of several battery exchanges, I couldn’t get it back to its best… Until now!
It’s now been two-weeks since I left my faulty halogen oven, ready to be collected and returned to Andrew James. My concern began to grow earlier this week, as I’d expected and hoped to hear from them. I dropped an e-mail in to their inbox on Wednesday night and then, before I could even check my e-mails twenty-four hours later; I received a text message at 9am on Thursday morning from a courier, stating that my anonymous parcel was on its way…
I’ll have some more food-related features in the coming days but this evening, I’ve decided to share a walkthrough on how to replace the bulb inside a halogen oven, as there’s a good chance it may help someone else.
In all fairness, the manual for mine (Andrew James 12lt Premium) wasn’t too bad and in case you’re wondering; I believe I bought this back in March, around the time of my birthday and the original bulb has only just ‘blown’ this past weekend, meaning it’s lasted almost 7 months after fair usage (assuming it was new to start with).
That’s my motto for this story I’m about to share. A tale that only ends in woe, as I strive to replace an important piece of my Nikon Coolpix S8200 digital camera… A quest of penny-pinching, that eventually ends in achieving the greatest debt possible.
Have I ever told you how much I hate the traditional style of fence panel? If not then, I’ll try not to drone on too much today. Let’s just that I’m ‘not a fan’ of the ‘cost-effective‘ design, where you’re over-relying a few nails and staples to hold a load of thin boards and stick-like battens together.
In my experience, the very first happens during the drier summer months, when this timber (a softwood) is allowed to rapidly expel the moisture it has gathered, causing its form to take all manner of shapes, along with a few splits, cracks and shakes. That’s all without mentioning the threat of wet rot, rising damp and, perhaps one of my biggest bugbears with ‘solid’ fence panelling; the wind effect.
Believe it or not, I’ll have another video for you soon on some ‘modifications’ I’ve been making to my workbench! 😯 While I was waiting for glue to dry at one part though, I got on a wired-in the new DOL Starter I bought for my 6in planer (jointer), as I alluded to at the end of my mobile base video.
I aim to do a little more on the router table, later today. Provided that my new bandsaw blades arrive in time and, of course, that I don’t get talked in to doing some other DIY-type job! 😛 It looks like it might rain today though… 😉 I won’t have much time (if any) to work on it tomorrow but I’m already looking ahead to what will probably be my first project once the new table has been built.
Mum’s been asking again about these French Doors. I tried to patch them up and repaint them a year ago but, they’ve been in such a state for a few years now that I pretty much gave up part way through; deciding that they were, quite literally, beyond repair.
So, it’ll up to me to make some new frames and buy the double glazed units to fit. I don’t like to put too much pressure on myself but, ideally, I will get these finished in time for her birthday in the beginning of July…! 😯