After recently exposing myself to the risk of a bite from the infection woodturning bug; shortly after completing the first repair job, I was contacted again by the same customer, with a request to return to my lathe and produce a second strut for his chair repair. You see, while attempting to fit the replacement, he somehow, inadvertently managed to break another strut!
Looking closely at the broken end, you can see what appears to be a thread cut from a screw… I haven’t seen the rest of the chair wit my own eyes but, as most woodworkers know; screwing directly in to end-grain (following the long grain of the wood) doesn’t offer the strongest of bonds and can lead to the separation of the fibres.
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.
When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳