I haven’t written much about woodworking for a while. As you’re probably aware, I moved home not long ago and, for an indefinite amount of time, I still have access to the place where my tools are currently stored… I just don’t seem to have enough of the time, money or weather at the moment! But I am still keeping two projects on-the-go and, to be fair, they’ve been in said state for a while. This is what I wanted to share with you this evening.
This is going to be one of those ‘informative’ kind of posts… I was actually intending to write about something else I made and added to the workshop recently but I appear to be missing some of the in-progress photos of that and, if I did take them then, they must still be on the SD card which is sat out in the workshop right now!
So, this evening’s post concerns some minor modifications I’ve made to the ‘mobility’ of both my table saw’s mobile base and the router table I made back in August.
This year is very nearly over, as we close in on the celebrations of Christmas time. I’d like to be able to reflect back on my woodworking for the past twelve-months but, I know already that I seem to have achieved less than in previous years. With news that my mum’s looking to sell her house in the new year and also, how I’m wanting to rent my own living space again, it feels as though it’s all closing in towards an end. Renting a small workshop is parts of the UK can cost almost as a one-bedroom flat. As we’re both looking to go in to renting, it’s unlikely that a landlord would allow either of us to keep a workshop at home, even if we do end up living somewhere that has a garage.
So, I feel I’m left with a choice…
Ultimately, I’m going to have to move out of this workshop. That’s already been decided.
Do I consider temporary self-storage for some of my larger machines and lesser-used power tools?
Last weekend, I actually spent a few hours in the workshop but, this was mostly dedicated to sweeping the floor and, generally, giving the whole place a pretty ‘deep clean’. That means wiping dust and collecting shavings from all horizontal surfaces (shelves, work tops and cupboards). It was the first time I’d done this in so long. Once the hard work was over, I really did feel so much better for it. Just being in a clean workshop… Everything felt so ‘clear’.
I try to keep the floor clean quite regularly but I must work harder to maintain areas like the spaces beneath my workbench (one downside of drilling dog holes!). There’s a huge psychological benefit to doing this and, with the new base recently completed for my 6in planer, I’ve been able to shuffle things around again…
Again, I’m nearly one-week behind in updating you on my recent exploits in the workshop! I didn’t really have much left to do on the bathroom box at this point; it was more a case of figuring out how I was going to do a couple of things and then, setting up for each operation.
After one week of waiting for finished photos, here they are!
It’s about as finished as it’s going to be for the moment, as I hope to move on to some other pressing projects fairly soon. It’s also worth noting that I’ve since replaced all the wing nuts you can see with home-made wooden knobs (M6 nuts embedded in to their inner faces).
I’ve had a good weekend in the workshop so far, which means that my social life definitely isn’t improving… Actually, I still have two days left (thanks to the Jubilee), it’s pretty safe to say that I’ll have the router table completed very soon indeed.
With the lippings attached and flushed off with a combination of router and belt sander, I was ready to start doing further work to the top as Saturday came.
What I needed to do next was to creating a recess for the aluminium insert plate and an opening for the router to fit in to. This may look like something that’s difficult to achieve but, I aim to show you a method I like that’s easy and very effective in providing you with a neat end result.