With the lippings attached and flushed off with a combination of router and belt sander, I was ready to start doing further work to the top as Saturday came.
What I needed to do next was to creating a recess for the aluminium insert plate and an opening for the router to fit in to. This may look like something that’s difficult to achieve but, I aim to show you a method I like that’s easy and very effective in providing you with a neat end result.
It’s been about a week since I filmed but, the final episode in my three-part cutting board series is finally online and ready for viewing:
I’ve taken on board some advice from Stu recently, with regards to the transitions between scenes, if nothing more at the moment. As I’ve said before; it’s all a big experiment for me. I am very aware that you can barely hear my voice towards the end of the video and, again referring to Stu’s comments, I’ll probably look at tinkering with voice-overs in future (at least, until I can a decent video camera with an input jack for a microphone – though, I’m sure the purchase of a 16-32 drum sander would push that one even further back down the list!!).
I hope you enjoy this final instalment and, if you’ve learned something new along the way then, I’m happy as well! 🙂 I am hoping to capture a couple of other short projects in video form throughout the summer [summer?!?] so, I hope you’ll also subscribe and keep checking back here for future updates.
Sorry that the gap between each post appears to be growing at the moment. I’m working a lot at the moment just to keep my head above the water and, where I haven’t got as much time as I’d like to be able to spend in my own workshop, I’ve discovered that the art of basic video editing can easily consume a lot of spare ‘workshop-time’!
Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.
When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳
Fear not – that title bears no relevance to my workbench!! 😉
A few years ago, my mum purchased this two-seater bench-and-table combination piece, probably from one of the many catalogues she keeps under the stairs… It’s made from some kind of dark or ‘red’ hardwood and although, at first glance, you may think this timber looks quite durable, a closer look at the slats on one of the seats tells a different story…
Some of you may have already seen this on The Wood Haven a few weeks ago but, for all you other woodworkers out there, I recently finished an Arts & Crafts or “Craftsman“-style wall shelf made from solid English oak offcuts I’d had lying around for a while.
Just a brief note (and a bit of a gloat!) to say that I have just this morning picked up a true eBay bargain from the Post Office – it’s a DeWalt DW621 ¼in router. Brand new, still sealed, unused for only £125 (+ £5.95 p&p)! According to Axminster’s current price, I’ve saved a good £70, here! 8)
On Wednesday afternoon, I went to my local timber merchant (Staddons) to pick up a sheet of plywood for some ‘workshop furniture’. I was hoping to save some money and get a sheet of 18mm shuttering ply – it’s not the best quality, I’ll grant you. But, it’s generally fine for storage in the workshop. Now, I was hoping they’d be able to cut this sheet down for me so I could get it in my car. Unfortunately, I discovered that they will not cut shuttering ply on their saws – something to do with the glues and resins between the laminations ruining their saws [I’m sure she meant ‘blades‘!]. Not only that but, this, being the cheapest of all plywoods, is rarely ever even close to being flat, which could again cause problems on the saw. Continue reading…