Some of you may recall that I had to replace a rotten fence post last spring, repairing the breeze-battered panel in the process. That’s been bringing a lot of traffic to my site recently, which my come as know surprise to you, if you live in the UK and you’ve had to experience some of the recent natural forces. I had to do the same again last weekend but on the opposite fence and so, I thought I’d write about that as well, because there are some differences.
I’ll save you from another moan about my lack of money as it certainly doesn’t have to halt your productivity, when it comes to working with wood. If it’s suitable for what you intend to make or build then, there are many options available if you’re wanting to get your hands on some ‘free’ wood. Some people prefer to break up old pallets, for example, which can be great for outdoor stuff. You might have to work a bit harder to carefully salvage what you can, de-nail it and then to clean it up a bit but, there are rewards to be gained in the long run. This time though, I’ve opted to recycle a piece of furniture I made back in the summer of 2005, when I was just beginning to discover the ‘workshop‘ that had been lurking around the back of our house for over a year…
Actually, this was the first project I completed in my own workshop (which I still occupy, to this day). How I wish I had some photos of the space back then… It really was such a contrast to today’s ‘shop… While it was dark, there was also lots of SPACE! I used to manage quite well with just a few decent power tools and a cheap and nasty table saw (no planer/thicknesser; all timber bought in as PAR). I often wonder it would be like to go back to those roots… Maybe I will, some day.
But, Power Tool Woodworking is for another post, a different day and hopefully not for another year or so just yet! Let’s get on and take a look at what I’ve been working on, now that I’m back in action…
So much procrastination isn’t good for your soul, which is why I’m quite anxious about revealing something else that I’ve been up to in and around the other projects… All you need to know, for now, is that it involved making a broom handle!
Over the weekend, I made further progress on the bench seat repair and started by preparing all my previously sawn stock down to finished dimensions.
When I’m working with timber that’s been at least partially sawn on a circular saw, which leaves a much cleaner finish than most bandsaw blades, I find it helpful to scribble over the sawn faces to void confusion later. Unless your planer knives are razor-sharp, it can sometimes be tricky to distinguish the prepared face and edge from the two other surfaces… On a few occasions, yes, I have made the mistake of referencing off the wrong face and edges when feeding stock through a thicknesser! 😳