I’ve been Keeking a lot lately about a project I started. It was something that I initially wanted to remain as ‘secret’ until a big unveiling with a YouTube video; laminating layer after layer of American lime from my offcuts stash, as the odd follower made their guess or suggestion as to what it might be. Two people were very close and in fact, it you were to halve each of their answers (bandsaw box and a turned bowl) and to bring two of those halves together, you would’ve come to the correct conclusion of a Bandsaw Bowl.
It was all going so well until I mounted it on a circle cutting jig last night. Now, this beech lump o’ lime looks like to find a space in one of my stocked up bags of firewood, ready for collection by someone… From somewhere.
With the seat assembled and the bulk of the work on this repair job complete (ignoring the other seat, which suffered a similar fate to the first one, very recently), the last step before finishing was to create two new rails that would allow me to attach this new seat to the legs of the existing frame.
I didn’t have enough meranti left to do this but, I did have some iroko which is, in all fairness, likely to outlast the rest of the entire bench structure, if left untreated over the next few years! I used one of the original rails as a template to directly mark all the significant features on to the new wood (length, hole locations, mortise positions and the radiused ends).
Having cut and cleaned out all the mortises in my previous session working on this bench, my next job was to cut the tenons on each end of the seven slats. With relatively small components like this, I like to use my faithful router sled to gauge the thickness by making a single pass across each face.