It’s official. I am now a fan of Abranet abrasives!
I only wish I’d invested in their discs sooner… As in, before I started sanding those cutting boards!
Last night’s ninety-minute session in the workshop led to little else but frustration and disappointment. I marched out to the ‘shop, ready to begin the process of flattening the two leg frames -which, as I admitted in the previous post; didn’t go together quite as tight, square and neatly as I had intended.
This process began with a couple of bench planes; resulting in a mountain of shavings on the bench top and a wooden frame featuring torn-out grain in places where I’d cut across the corners to try and save time flattening.
After another two-hours in the workshop last night and, after sitting down to type this post after a long day at work, I find myself coming to the realisation that blogging is more enjoyable when it’s more ‘impulsive’ like this and almost bite-sized (compared to my usual posts). I plan to much and stress about getting each post perfect, a lot of time. That’s not really what blogging should be about (I’ve been here before but, with a lack of workshop activity – I think – I lost my way again).
Last night, I looked long and hard at the fold-out leg frames and how I would joint and assemble them…
I’ve probably said this before but, it really never seizes to amaze me just how long even a ‘simple’ pine project can take to make! You visualise all the basic things but, in spite of the training I’ve had in making furniture, I easily forget some of the necessary practices – like sanding to remove machining marks. I do sometimes wish I had a drum sander to simply send boards through as I seem to be going through 120g 4in wide sanding belts at an alarming rate. Pine is sticky stuff with all the resins and that doesn’t help. Really, I should be looking to use 80g for all the donkey work (that would explain why I haven’t so many 80g belts left but, I’m now down to my final 120g belt in the box…).
Plenty has been going over the weekend and, if I were to update it all in this single post, you’d still be reading it by the time I leave for work tomorrow morning (once I’d finished writing it!). So, in this post, I’ll just update you on Saturday’s events, with Sunday’s efforts to follow tomorrow (I’m secretly hoping to have this finished-or-very-close by next weekend…!).
If not for the difficulties I’ve had in trying to upload this video (coupled with the time I’ve spent agonising over a SketchUp drawing for a future magazine article) then, I’ve have had this second instalment online for you much sooner!
It looks as though this is going to become another three-part series after all. I’ve tried hard to trim this second episode down as much as possible but, I feel I’ve got a lot of useful content in there. I start by turning the square post in to an octagonal section (picking up from where Part 1 left off) and getting everything ready for the finishing stage, which will come in Part 3, along with the assembly.
Sorry that you’ve had to wait so long for this. Hope that it’s been worth it, though!
I’d also like to thank Joe Abbott for pointing me in the direction of Windows Live Writer, which is compatible with any blogging software and is free to download. It’s dead easy to use and allows me to blog in ‘visual editor mode’ where WordPress appears to have started playing up for me of late (thanks again, Joe! ).
Thanks for viewing.
Video no.2 in this three-part series on making end-grain cutting boards is now available to view both here and over on YouTube.
As before, I welcome all comments and opinions. If you’d rather e-mail in private, instead of posting publicly either here on this blog or on the other site then, I’m happy for you to do that (just follow the link in the right-hand column).
Part 3 isn’t too far away and, who knows, you may even hear my voice! 😀
Thanks for watching. Hope you’re enjoying this. More to come!
It seems that I’ve skipped an update, here, on the simple DVD wall shelf that I began working on two-weeks ago – my apologies for that. After roughing out all the timber for the four shelves and two sides last time, I was still left with a small collection of cupped boards. This cupping wasn’t as severed as with the 10in-wide boards I’d started with but, I knew it was still likely to cause me some problems later on.