In my last update, I believe the pair of book boxes I was making were edging close to completion (or, at least, the finishing stage). That was over two-months ago and, even though I’ve since effectively closed the door on that workshop for the time being, I can tell you that I worked on three separate (and a-little-bit-secret) items during the closing weeks.
Today’s update concludes the book box project for the time being.
If you read this in time and, you’re not too far away then, there’s still time to visit the Yandles Autumn Woodworking Show down in Martock, Somerset, today. I spent a bit of time there yesterday afternoon (my van was making strange noises by the time I left the M5, which I suspect indicates an issue with a wheel bearing – first time I’d heard it in almost seven-months though). I had a good look around without seeing too much that interested me or, too many recognisable faces (usually, there are a few) but, I really went for the 15% discount on timber! 😉
To be honest, it is only during their shows that I do buy timber from Yandles. They’re not quite as cheap as some of the other suppliers I know of but then, you do get to pick out your own boards; each one is priced up and marked individually and, they even prepare (plane) one face for you, so that you can pretty much see what you’re buying.
Sometimes, in life (and, in fact, in woodwork as well), a little improvisation can go a long way to getting you out of an awkward situation.
Before I moved in to my new place, with most of my stuff either in the new place or in the van, ready to go the next morning, I wanted to check my e-mails and do a bit of surfing to keep up with the goings on in the world of the internet. My problem was that, while I had access to my laptop (and an internet connection, through Wi-Fi), I didn’t have a desk or table to work on. But, what I did have were two bedside drawer units (again, in horrible hidden chipboard, made to look like sapele – a poor man’s mahogany – as well!) and so, I was able to do this:
Not only did the stacked height make for a comfortable working position while standing (I never would’ve been able to get my legs in close enough, had I tried to sit down at one of these) but, by removing the top drawer and reinserting it upside-down, I had a convenient surface on which I could use my mouse, too! All that’s missing is the obligatory cup of tea… 😉
With one-week left to go on my course at college, I’ve almost exhausted the allocated twenty-six hours allocated to work on this wall cabinet and yet, I’ve still got the doors to fit and hang. If all had gone as according to plan, I probably would’ve had it all finished by now, but for Thursday, which was a pretty horrendous day for making mistakes…
With barely one-month left to run on my college course, there’s just enough time to squeeze in a wood-machining project (practical exam) before we say goodbye. This year, it’s the wall cabinet – some of us were hoping we’d be making these twelve-moths ago. Second-years’ have it easy; all the wood is machined for them… They only have to cut all the joints, assemble and prepare it for finishing within the allocated twenty-six hours… For those of us at Level 3 though, we’ll have to machine all our own timber and, first of all, come up with a design!
About a year ago, I finished this relatively simple table, which was the wood-machining project for all second-year students in 2009. We were given twenty-six hours within which to complete the table and sand it ready for finishing – despite having to re-veneer the top and cut two new legs at one point (!!), I still managed to finish well within the allocated time (which equates to two full weeks or four-days in college, excluding breaks), although I did lose a few marks, as a consequence. We were only recently allowed to take these home and this has now given me a chance to think about finishing the piece…