This is the concluding part to all the repair work I’ve been carrying out in the bathroom. I still have to repaint a couple of strips on the walls beside the tiles but you won’t need me to show you that (I’ve done enough brush-work on this blog for one year).
It came to an end on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, no less and I took my very first shower in the ‘refurbished’ unit almost 24 hours later. A couple of showers after that and it’s still looking alright.
This is something I’ve been working on for a couple of weeks now – that is to say, that I started it a fortnight ago and, although I’ve not been working on it solidly or with any kind of routine, the work is still very much in progress.
After creating an agreement with my landlord, I’ve begun to look at the cause of the damp patch that has slowly grown beside the shower in my bathroom and to move forward with the rectification of this problem.
Having been in this flat now for over 8 months, I can say that I’ve spent the past few feeling as though I’m some kind of ‘live-in maintenance man‘. When something’s broken or has been in need of improvement, I’ve offered to repair or replace it (unless it’s electrical, of course). I quite enjoy a bit of DIY (working to my own rules and at my own pace) so this doesn’t bother me too much. Until recently, I spent several weeks living in a near-building site-like state as I attempted to repair and redecorate the main living room walls.
By far, this has become my proudest achievement in this property to date:
I am no plasterer and I’ve never been keen on painting but a couple of coats of Dulux’s lemon tropics has, for me, transformed the feel of this previously overly-magnolia property.
But today, I’m going to share with you some recent improvements I’ve made in the bathroom.
To start off with then, here’s a photo of the ‘gap’ behind the bathroom sink, where any previous sealant has crumbed and broken away. At a guess, I might question whether the correct grade of sealant or caulk was used. In front of the splashback, it is subject to a high volume of water at times. It seems to be fine in other places.
If you were to look more carefully from the right angle though, you’d see that the sink unit runs at a different level to the window sill behind. This suggests that’s something’s out, if the base of the unit hasn’t deteriorated… Maybe I can level it, once I get inside and underneath.
First, I hope that you all had a lovely day yesterday and that you also have plans for the rest of the week.
Somehow, in my last post, I managed to bypass the topic of DIY and home repairs. Mum is looking to sell her house in 2013 but, there is a lot of work that needs to be done before she could confidently place it on the market. It’s certainly a subject that could find a space on this blog so, I’m going to start by focusing on what needs doing in the bathroom. All comments, thoughts and suggestions will be welcomed.